Showcase Models: Is it Okay to Use Free Ones?

Hello! This is my first devforum post! I am knowing the developing world of Roblox right now.
I am new to building games and create new places, therefore I do not have a piece of wide
knowledge of models and structures in games. I am developing my 1st official showcase with
the theme of autumn and Japanese structures. I was planning to make a mini Japanese spot, like a mini pagoda, but I don’t know how to make a high-quality model, so I got a free model and used it. (I did change some colors and parts of the model.) Does anybody have tips?

I also used some models for tree branches and fox statues. Does this lower down my game?

4 Likes

Using free models is fine. If you’re trying to go for a professional showcase or game in general though, I suggest staying far away from them. Odds are, the free models don’t look like your building style (everyone has their own little unique style, just like in art), so when you do start to build pathways and such, your game won’t blend together as nicely as you’d want it to.

Besides the risk of viruses or backdoors, you should be fine using free models. Just take your time and learn how to create these models by your own tools. Goodluck!

8 Likes

Using models and tree branches wont lower down your game, it just wont be as optimised as it should be. That is not a major issue most of the time, so dont let it dictate your build. Using free-models is absolutely fine, just be wary that some of them may have viruses.

4 Likes

Noted! When I use models, I tend to make them closer to my design to make it more pleasing. But I only do it when building complex stuff with curvy surfaces. But I will try to improve more in my building skills. Thank you so much!

1 Like

Noted! I’ll try to use my own tools next time, and make my building more better. Thank you!

If more than 30% of your game is free models then you failed.

For beginner showcase creators, using free models would be fine, but as you progress, try messing around with new tools in and plugins which will help you enhance your building abilities. A great way to start creating your own models is watching building tutorials on youtube, or joining building communities. Free models can be a great tool for developers, but try not to overuse them while creating a showcase.

1 Like

There has been a negative connotation presented towards free models in the years past that I’ve been on Roblox. I’ve never really used them my self, but if you are trying to make a quick map to plan your build and to see how it will look once you’ve finished it, then free models are good for things like that.

Please make sure you be careful of what you import into your game from the tool box. Make sure to check scripts for back doors, and make sure they do not contain any viruses that could infect your game.

If you’re just starting out in Roblox studio and you want to test the waters of the Roblox studio building system, then I think free models are a good way to start for inspiration. There are a lot of good models from the tool box that I’ve seen.

2 Likes