Simple Cartoony Outline System V1

A nice cartoony outline system made by me, here’s the link:

It’s a pretty simple script but I’m going to be using it in some of my games, hope I can help some newer scripters out there with this model. There’s a ReadMe script in the model but I’ll tell you how it works anyway.
Basically just ungroup the models based on their names, which tells you which service to put them in. Any feedback will be appreciated. Thanks!

7 Likes

can you use Highlight? it fits all shapes like the new Part Selection System in Roblox

Only 36 instances can be highlighted at once, I think that’s why they don’t use it

It’s actually 31, and it’s not on instances, but rather the number of highlights themselves. You can highlight an infinite number of instances, if you put them all in the same model.

1 Like

you can only highlight visible meshes and parts, even models if you mix them altogether

Ok? How would you know something wasn’t highlighted if you literally cannot even see it?

But highlights only work on models??

are you sure about that?

:point_up_2: for Parts, :point_down: for Meshes

That is the same mesh as shown above, but it doesn’t show the highlights

I actually meant to say that it already works on models, since in your reply it was like you were saying that if you tried hard enough, you could get them to work on models.

I thought you were referring to something else, but anyway, it doesn’t seem like this resource lets you apply outlines to completely transparent parts as well:

uhh highlights are coded in C++ not luau

This outline system doesn’t appear to work with completely transparent parts, I sent a picture of the line of code I think indicates so.

That’s not what I mean lol, I am saying “Simple Cartoony Outline System V1” does not work with completely transparent parts and therefore is no better in that regard than highlights.

2 Likes

so something like this…

if v:IsA("BaseParts") and v.Transparency < 1 then
   highlight.Visible = false
end

why not just use highlights? unlike your system (from a quick glance), highlights work on all models & shapes

also, you should provide some images/screenshots of your resource and explain how it works and what it does

as Judgy_Oreo says it’s 31, not 36, and only 31 highlights can be shown at once, but if you put 1 highlight inside of 1 model, it will highlight all BaseParts and models inside (still counting as 1 highlight)

nothing stopping me from doing the same /shrug

3 Likes

about the highlights… I suggested that earlier…

Because that is not what this model is meant for. It is a stylistic choice from me to have every outline on every part rather than a large highlight on all parts. That style of outlines is not what I was trying to achieve with this. I saw a style like this in a video I was watching, and I thought it looked cool, so I recreated it and posted it on the Devforum for anyone to copy or learn from.