Simple question: What character part does the camera follow?

Hello, everyone.

I have a quick question
What character part does a person’s current camera follow? For example, the humanoidrootpart? Head? etc?

Sincerely,
-coolguyweir

1 Like

From what i know it’s the head part.

1 Like

gotcha. Thanks for your help!
thirtycharsahasrhasuohnahash

2 Likes

It’s kind of complicated. The camera may appear to follow the player’s head part, but from what I can tell, it’s following the HumanoidRootPart, but offset upwards so the camera appears to follow their head.

In the Camera’s properties, the default “CameraSubject” is set to their Humanoid. If you change it to the head, it will literally follow the head, even if animations make it move to the sides. I can only imagine that this could make players feel sick if they ran around with the camera following their head directly, as shown here:

I recommend leaving the camera’s subject as a character’s Humanoid, just to avoid the weird movements caused by animations.

4 Likes

Thanks for providing a better explanation, i did not think much about it when i replied, but now it makes total sense.

1 Like

I believe it’s the RootAttachment in the HumanoidRootPart

You’re welcome. I messed around with the camera before (when I was trying to add a rolling mechanic), so I noticed the odd default “humanoid” camera subject at that point and figured it’d be a good idea to share that knowledge in this topic.

I don’t think it is. I just moved that attachment then changed the camera’s subject to another part then back to the Humanoid (in case that would update its internal offset) but it’s still centered around her head’s position like it tends to be. I tried setting the subject to multiple attachments, but it never changed to them, so I don’t think that’s even possible.

I’m thinking picking the Humanoid as the camera’s target causes hardcoded (engine-level, not LUA) behavior to activate, somehow offsetting the camera, probably calculating the camera’s offset based on the HumanoidRootPart’s height or something.

What’s strange is that this is completely separate from the Humanoid’s CameraOffset property. Set this to something like 0, -1.25, 0 and it looks almost the exact same as setting the camera to follow the HRP directly.

This really feels like weird “early/classic Roblox” behavior that hasn’t changed for many years, just like the Humanoid overall, its states (jumping only lasts a single frame for some reason, and both standing still and running use the same state) and tools (BACKSPACE always puts away tools or drops them in a glitchy fashion, though that’s thankfully getting disabled soon).

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.