SimplePath or Write my own?

Hello, Thanks for spending the time to read my post.

I’m pretty sure mostly everyone here is aware of the Pathfinding module SimplePath:

> SimplePath

It aided me a lot, however I was wondering if it’s more reliable if I Wrote my own pathfinding system?

Pros

• It helps with being able to write what I specifically need
  • I can make sure its optimized to the point where I like it

Cons

• It takes way more time
  • It might not work properly

The reason why I’m really asking this question is because I want to become a more Self Sufficient Developer. Is making my own pathfinding system a good step in the right direction of becoming a more self sufficient developer? (I hardly use devforum modules, this is really the only one I used that aided me.)

2 Likes

Depends what you need, the cons are not limitations, and you’ll learn pathfinding more accurately and have a good understanding of it without modules, so yeah, definetly make your own if you want it!

BUT DO NOT THINK OF MODELS AS NOT BEING SELF SUFFICIENT
Having refrences in art isn’t copying, neither are modules. Even great developers use modules not made by them such as the owner of mad city and I believe deepwoken, use Profileservice. Resource Modules are made to assist your development journey and make more complex things simpler, using them doesn’t mean you aren’t self sufficient, remember that.

3 Likes

Thanks, I think i was just mostly feeling guilty of the fact that I used a module somebody else made instead of something I made my own. :sweat_smile: I normally do everything I make on my own. This is really the first time i’ve ever used a devforum module, so I did want to ask this question to make sure that i’m doing the right thing when it comes to becoming a better programmer.

1 Like

Don’t worry about it! When you get into more advanced games and concepts you’ll use more modules, like for data you should be using ProfileService, for replication you should be using ReplicaService, and for fighting games maybe RaycastHitbox. There are tons of different modules that major game devs use (combat warriors uses raycasts, etc) so you shouldn’t feel guilty for using stuff you didn’t make, they are tools to assist the stuff you DO make better than roblox can.

2 Likes

Why not modify SimplePath to fit your needs? That’s what I do. Also, there isn’t a need to rewrite smth if it already is good enough, unless uk wt u r doing, but even then it’s better to modify existing resources, and if your changes are really solid, you could also make a pr to update the original module.

Just because you don’t use other’s modules, it doesn’t make you a better dev. In fact, it’s quite the opposite; using other’s modules makes you a better dev. And don’t get me wrong, I’m not saying that you should always rely on other’s modules rather than create your own, but there are modules which other devs create that simplify your workflow, are battle tested and well maintained. You could ofc spend a considerable amount of time creating a module, but that’s just a waste of time if there is already a module which does the exact same thing, much better (usually) than what you ever could come up with. And I’m not saying you aren’t good enough to create a module, it’s just that you have to put so much time (lots) and effort on it that it really isn’t worth it (unless it’s smth new, in which case u should absolutely do it)

And I’m not speaking the above with no prior understanding to the topic; I know may top developers who use and even encourage the use of modules made by others such as Roact (now react-lua), Fusion, Knit, ProfileService, Promises, Nevermore, Rodux (I prefer Reflex tho) and much more. Why? Cause when smth is already perfect, there is no need to create a copy of it. Rather, it’s better to build upon it to make it even better.

In terms of being a better dev, yes, I suppose you could gain more knowledge while creating it, but in the long run, you probably are better off with SimplePath or likewise module which is better maintained and tested.

I would actually encourage you to try out more modules, especially Fusion (or Roact) and Reflex (or Rodux).

2 Likes

Thanks for your feedback! I very much appreciate you going through a detailed scenario.

Np, I’m a big fan of FOSS so I try to advocate it to others

1 Like

I get what you mean by this, It’s not that I’m not skilled enough to y’know, make what I need to make, theres just no point if theres a module or system out there that does it extremely well and exactly what I need it to do. This makes sense.

I will take a look at all of these modules whenever I can. I heard that ProfileService was extremely useful, never dug into it too much because I was mostly focused on writing more core systems for my game (Such as AI, attacks, etc.) This is very helpful, thank you so much!

They aren’t the only ones, one recent module which improved my workflow significantly was Iris, a debug UI system, which helped me visualize changes to a camera system I made in real time. Before, I had to make a change, run the game, decide the change is a bit too much and after lowering it, I had to run the game again. It was hell, but Iris saved me tons of time and increased my productivity in the long run.

It’s really good for data saving as it has custom session lock system to make sure data isn’t wiped out accidentally.

1 Like

Just looked at Iris and I’m completely blown away on how useful this is. Thanks for sharing this module with me!

1 Like

IKR. I always wanted to create a debug UI to assist in development, but I was too lazy to create one lol. But ye, Iris is ten times better than anything I could have come up with.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.