Simulating a rope constraint server sided

You can write your topic however you want, but you need to answer these questions:

1. What do you want to achieve? A simulated rope like Roblox’s rope constraint.

2. What is the issue? Include screenshots / videos if possible! Idk what to do.

3. What solutions have you tried so far? Did you look for solutions on the Developer Hub? I didnt find a topic that helped me. I’ve implemented something but it’s not what i want.

The system I have right now is based on two force vectors pushing but I can’t think of how to stop the force right when the player is inside of the distance of the simulated rope.

1 Like
  1. Create two attachments that represent the ends of the rope. These attachments should be parented to the parts you want to connect.

2. Create a part or a mesh part to represent the visual appearance of the rope.

Class RopeConstraint
RopeConstraint

I’m not trying to use robloxs rope constraint.

1. Create two parts that will act as the attachments for the rope.

2. Use a BodyVelocity or BodyForce object to apply a force to each attachment, pulling them towards each other.

3. To stop the force when the player is inside the distance of the simulated rope, you can use a constraint to limit the maximum distance between the attachments.

4. You can use a RodConstraint or a SpringConstraint to create the constraint between the attachments. Adjust the properties of the constraint to control the stiffness and length of the simulated rope.

5. You can also add additional constraints or forces to allow the attachments to rotate or move in certain ways, depending on your desired effect.

Example code:

-- Attachments
local attachment1 = game.Workspace.Part1.Attachment1
local attachment2 = game.Workspace.Part2.Attachment2

-- Create constraints
local rodConstraint = Instance.new("RodConstraint")
rodConstraint.Attachment0 = attachment1
rodConstraint.Attachment1 = attachment2
rodConstraint.Length = 10 -- Adjust the length as needed
rodConstraint.Visible = true -- Set to false if you don't want the constraint to be visible

-- Apply forces to attachments
local bodyForce1 = Instance.new("BodyForce")
bodyForce1.Force = Vector3.new(0, 0, 100) -- Adjust the force as needed
bodyForce1.Parent = attachment1.Parent

local bodyForce2 = Instance.new("BodyForce")
bodyForce2.Force = Vector3.new(0, 0, -100) -- Adjust the force as needed
bodyForce2.Parent = attachment2.Parent

I’m sorry I should’ve been more through from the start. I’m trying to connect two players with a simulated rope and the problem is that using any constraint is gonna be problematic, because of networkownership. Any idea how to go at it without constraints?