Simulating removal of FE?

Well at this point it seems that roblox is committed to removing the option to turn off fe. So I wanted to know if any of you had any ideas on creating a script that can simulate it being turned off? Ever since the fe toggle was removed, the only thing I have wanted from this game was for the option to be added back but now that it’s almost a full year later I’ve lost all hope. Please don’t respond if your message will just consist of “You can’t” or “There’s nothing wrong with fe just get used to it.”

2 Likes

Could you provide a use case for this specifically?

I’m sorry to break it to you, but no, there is no way to “simulate” non-FE accurately.

6 Likes

You cant make it 100% unFe. But I have a idea for values etc…

You could make a script to get every value in game and fire a remote event to change the value.

I don’t believe that this will actually affect it, as non-FE has been seen to have no real security-plus use cases for a while now.

I’ll reiterate asking what the use case for this might be, so a workaround could be developed without having to turn on FE @Humanagon

2 Likes

Please, please, please do not do this. FilteringEnabled is forced on for all games for good reason. Do you have any legitimate use cases for this?

4 Likes

What I don’t get though is why instead of attempting to make a better exploit protection or allowing the developer make the exploit protection their selves, they chose to add a feature that breaks millions upon millions of games that MAY OR MAY NOT ever be updated again and not even listening to users who want the feature removed or at least get the toggle back after it has been requested several times.

I know I sound kinda salty rn but that’s just because I really want a solution to this and I don’t think it will ever happen.

1 Like

They removed it because they had several cases where exploiters would do obscene scripts/exploits with underaged children along with the fact it’s just not secure. Lack of FE affected your players, not just you.

4 Likes

And some peoples childhoods were ruined because of exploiters.
Remember that time roblox made it to the news? No idea if I’m allowed to share the link here as it is pretty graphic.

It’s better that the game doesn’t work than it to be infested by a swarm of exploiters who look for non-FE games.
There is no reason not to have FE enabled.

1 Like

Yes but they could make it so you can’t join non fe games if you’re under 13. Actually I think they did do that at some point but they replaced it with removing the feature all together.

They did do that, but that’s a bandaid solution. It can’t be a solution for long-term.

2 Likes

But fe is a bandaid solution, we have to be honest here…

Exploiters will always find a way past the security put in place by roblox - there are entire communities based around it.
All roblox can do is try to secure the games from their side, in all honesty.

Also, I should mention all the gears that were broken due to fe? Not only that but even the fixed recent fixed versions dont work as well as the originals due to the delay caused by remote events.

This has already been discussed before in depth here.

However, to summarize:

• Filtering Enabled has been best practice for nearly six years. This has been plenty of time for most game creators to catch up.

• Roblox tried to allow players to opt-in, or to make it group / game only, but this still was abused by malicious users, so it went. It was made so Under 13s can’t join (this was still abused), and then friends only (still abused). Roblox decided it was better to have games not playable than have them abused and making them liable to some of the things that happened in Non-FE games (which are now moderatable for them)

• Roblox continues to develop very good anti-exploit measures, which are certainly not trivial to bypass - there is lots of money in reversing it though (six figure $$+), and where there is money, there is motivation, and hence a bypass is always found.

• FE is not a “bandaid” solution - it is industry practice in nearly every technology circle. It is the only solution that is guaranteed, to a reasonable extent, to protect a server from client interference. It isn’t an “anti exploit” - it’s a policy setting that enforces the client-server model. You will have to look far and wide for any other major 2019 multiplayer game that doesn’t adhere to this model.

• Developers can still develop their own anti-exploits, but is it impossible for developers to create an anti-exploit that is able to secure as effectively as FE.

16 Likes

fireboldofdeath was referring to the <13 not being able to join experimental games.

Don’t bother asking the question then because these are the exact answers to this question. You can’t and you shouldn’t. Non-FE environments are awful design structures and you never should have a reason not to use it.

2 Likes

I was referring to this comment made here:

1 Like

Not having Filtering Enabled in the first place was a mistake.

It was bad practice, and any security expert can confirm what I’m saying here.
The entire internet is based on client-server connectivity, and letting clients manipulate games is a horrible experience for any player in your game.

Even now, after Filtering Enabled was enabled, we still experience exploiters. They ruin the experience and there are a lot of them. Disabling filtering enabled would result in literally any game to be exploited again. That would again result in people abandoning Roblox, and there is no point in making a game on Roblox if nobody is playing it, right?

The fact that Roblox didn’t start off with this security measure in the first place was actually a very big mistake, which led to many developers getting used to direct client-client communication (or allow clients to do anything). A more precise term would be “to let any client replicate anything to anyone”.

I do understand what you feel about it, but it just takes some time learning it and you will understand that currently this is the only good of communication between the client & server.

4 Likes

Even if you simulated this for whatever reason all the benefits of not having FE are lost. You will still run into issues like latency and lack of client control because under the hood you’re still using the FE model.

There’s literally no reason to have a simulation of a “non FE” environment. It’s a huge waste of time and resources.

1 Like

how long have you been trying to make games on Roblox, and actually utilizing the Dev Hub as well as the many youtube video tutorials out there right now?

You are literally asking for something that’s IMPOSSIBLE to make. There is no “one vaccine cures all”

Before FE

Exploiters were able to create an exploit for one game extremely easily and it would work everywhere on Roblox.

After FE

Roblox is now properly split into two environments, the client, and the server. This way whatever the exploiter changes in their client does NOT replicate to the server and there for replicating to everyone else, however if you are to make a change in the server itself then all other clients get it.

Unless you give a proper use case for what you’re trying to make with non-FE then you’re just gonna get shot down…

There are a lot of classic games that have been remade, If you liked a game that no longer works now tell developers, get your friends to tell developers, or even better re-make it yourself and grow a fan base from it!

Roblox should never and will never give the community any possible chance for them to be exposed to inappropriate content which exploits can easily make

10 Likes