Skinned Mesh doesn't work with tools

So currently i’m making a test game but i NEED something to make it working
when i put a sword inside “StarterPack” it seems like it didn’t work

though this sword was taken from Toolbox and i though it works but it didn’t hold
(Imported as S15 Rthro avatar)
any script to make it working?

i didn’t see anyone making characters with tools holding so i wonder why is it like this.

3 Likes

(post withdrawn by author, will be automatically deleted in 1 hour unless flagged)

1 Like

it’s named as “Handle” but one thing is it didn’t work
EXPECT normal blocky character

1 Like

here’s a pic of it

1 Like

This is not related to this topic
please read what i said on

1 Like

Your character technically doesn’t have any hands and therefore, cannot hold anything. You will probably have to try scripting a way around to fix the issue and manually attach the weapon to your character’s “hands” rather than relying on roblox’s normal tool behavior.

2 Likes

though it has “RightHand” but somehow i can’t manage to make it welding to it’s hand
do i need to create a part of it and rig it?

here’s another expanded

1 Like

I might be completely wrong since its been several months that I’ve worked with roblox studio however:

Think of roblox tools as being very simple, if it detects the body parts:
Right Arm (r6)
or
Right Hand (r15)

The tool will automatically weld itself to those parts HOWEVER.

If its a bone, motor6d, or a character who doesn’t have those body parts, it will not count and simply won’t weld.

You’ll have to setup a script of a sort to manually weld/attach the weapon to the characters hand location.

2 Likes

you cannot weld and use tools on skinned meshes so you need to import the tool to blender then add bone for the tool then parent the bone to which hand bone you want and it will work but its just visual you need to script it yourself like when player equipped the sword then the sword transparency will be 0 so thats how it works and collisions are weird on skinned meshes it doesn’t follow the bones so you need to make a hitbox for it.

1 Like

i already figured out with this but it seems that i need a script to track it’s hand to make it working

big thanks to @willbobdie

3 Likes