Skinned Mesh not working within Model?

Using the new skinned mesh feature, I created a new R6 rig. The rig is composed of individual mesh parts which all have their own bones - these meshes were imported through the animation editor as custom characters. Standing alone, the meshes themselves can be animated. However, when they form the R6 rig, they simply do nothing.
This is a stand-alone mesh which can be animated properly.
Here it is in the R6 rig - the bones are present, but when you try to move/rotate them, they do not follow the mesh and instead just break off as shown above.

Is there any way to fix this? I believe my method of importing the meshes and creating the rig is the problem, but I’m unsure if that’s the case or if this is just a bug.

1 Like

Wow!! You’re doing great, I never tried the skinned mesh feature before! I just readed about it before.
Can you tell me what documentation you used? Just the hub? any tutorial?
I want to try it and learn it, I just create mesh characters and rig it as a normal R15, but I never tried a skinned mesh with bones inside Roblox. Once I try it and get it to work I will inform you what approach I used and if that works.

Surely someone will give the answer before me, but, anyway xD

Hey Dev,

There will be different approaches to a skinned mesh depending on the intended final product. Your first step should be to determine your goal and what kind of mesh you’ll need for that. For example, if you were to use the skinned mesh feature to animate a realistic hand, then you’ll simply start out by modeling a hand (preferably in blender). Next, ensure that there are vertices wherever you’d expect a joint. When your mesh is complete, add armatures and resize/subdivide them until they line up with the joint-vertices. Parent the armatures to the mesh and then test the results by entering pose mode. If you need to change the effected area of the armature, you’ll need to enter weight paint mode.
Relative to ROBLOX, if you’re making a rig, you’ll probably need a rigging plugin to create joints between your meshes once you’ve exported them. Ensure you name the parts accordingly as well and make a proper rig (HumanoidRootPart, Humanoid Object).

Those are just the basics. Pretty simple to pick up in one day if you keep testing and improving your knowledge. Here are some of the videos I learned off of as well.
Blender 2.80 Tutorial: How To Add Bones To An Object. - YouTube - Adding armatures, testing poses
Roblox Mesh Deformation | Tutorial - YouTube - Guide for mesh deformation relative to ROBLOX.

1 Like

Ohh I got it, In plugins Avatar Importer, and upload the rigged mesh. Thats all?

Yup I dont use blender, I use a different 3d modeler. I already know how to create rigged meshes with skin weight and bones. I just didnt know the process to import it into Roblox, I though it was more complicated. So just by exporting a FBX from a rigged character including the bones, the Avatar Importer translate it?

Using another pluging could make any difference? Then I dont understand why you’re having that problem. If your rigged character works on blender, all bones are correct and with correct weights, maybe its the plugin you are using to import it into Roblox. Is the Default Avatar importer reliable?

Yea, all I had to do to export my mesh was keep it as an FBX file and upload through the Avatar Importer. It’s reliable enough to import rigs. Also, I rigged my character in studio - that could be the problem, so I’ll try to do it within Blender.

1 Like

Yup looks like the process is Rig the character inside Blender, once its finished export it as FBX and use the Avatar Importer, it should work. Just be sure is well rigged/skinned weights on blender before import it to roblox.

1 Like