Skinned Mesh NPC/Zombie unable to walk over different parts (pathfinding)

For some reason, my skinned mesh zombie is unable to walk over the 2 parts shown in the picture below:

There is no difference in height in the parts, and the zombie’s hipheight is at 0.25.
When the zombie is chasing the player, it is still trying to get to the player, but seems to freeze exactly where the parts intersect.

Also, I am unable to get it to jump.

Any help?
(I’m just about to finish developing for the day, so replies may be slow)

1 Like

Hi UkDarky,

Could you please go to File > Studio Settings and enable this checkbox?

It should highlight the navigation mesh so you can figure out if it’s the pathfinding engine or if it’s something else.

If that area isn’t covered in purple, there’s likely a bug with the navigation mesh, and you’ll have to adjust the floor/map around that area until you see the navmesh appear.

As for your zombie being unable to jump, there are a lot of reasons why it cannot jump. I recommend you debug the zombie’s humanoid by checking its Humanoid state with Humanoid:GetState so that you can rule out state issues (such as the zombie’s hipheight being too low and causing it to clip into the ground).

Regards,
treebee63

1 Like

Hi,
Here is the navigation mesh:

From what I see, everything looks all fine with it.

Here is an image of it actively happening. The zombie seems to be tilting

The zombie might be clipping into the ground, try increasing the HipHeight.

Also check the humanoid’s state with Humanoid:GetState.

Is it because the ‘legs’ are CanCollide true?
Also, what is the Orientation of the MeshPart that the Zombie is in? That might be what’s tilting it (I am probably wrong since I’ve never dealt with it before, but I know that setting a Model’s PrimaryPart to an item that is at a different Orientation than the model will affect it.
Another thing is the MeshParts’s PivotPoint, maybe try resetting that as well.

I’ve recently had a similar problem going over rough terrain. I’ve tried forcing the issue with pathfinding links and the NPC keeps getting stuck. It also want to climb up the wall. The navigation mesh actually shows the path going up the wall. I’m using a standard R15 rig with default values. So if you happen upon a solution, I would be very interested in seeing it.

The CanCollide should be true for the legs, otherwise the NPC will fall through the floor up to the lower torso.

Don’t use terrain for pathfinding. Random waypoints will be added above your NPC. To fix this issue, use Terrain:Clear

For OP’s case, I recommend using a dummy rig to determine if this is a problem with the rig or the pathfinding.

1 Like

Setting leg CanCollide to false won’t make it fall through the floor to the lower torso.
That’s what HipHeight is there for.

1 Like

I am honestly so stupid - it’s because I open the gate locally (so there’s just a wall in the way for the zombies).

Thank you so much for your guys’ help, I have still learned a few useful things from this post :slight_smile:

3 Likes