Skinned Meshes unloading/reloading for unknown reasons

In the two above videos, certain interactions are causing skinned meshes to disappear / “rebuild”.

The first video is an example strictly in studio hovering over skinned mesh entities. Interactions with one skinned mesh will cause re-calculations to separate skinned mesh entities. All of the meshes are loaded before the video begins.

The second video is an example from within our game, highlighting why this is a bigger issue. The two entities, the first person arms and the third person character, are not linked by our code. An update in one skinned mesh causes a recalculation in the other. In this case, both skinned meshes, which disappeared for the same unknown reasons before the recording, were redrawn. This interaction is out of our control and it is difficult for us to consistently pinpoint what is happening.

Our best assumption is that the same underlying issue is causing both examples.

We noticed this first happening a couple days ago. We’re unsure how to proceed until we can get more information.

A private message is associated with this bug report

6 Likes

We’ve filed a ticket to our internal database, and will follow up when we have updates!

Thank you for the report!

3 Likes

Can confirm this has been happening on my skinned meshes as well in the exact same manner of the first and second video. I noticed it first in Studio a couple days ago, but this morning it started hiding the meshes at runtime until something moves.

2 Likes

I have experienced similar issues 1 is unrelated to the above issue but it might have to do with it.

Bones that are too far away from the vertex group the influence can sometimes make the entire mesh disappear (if the mesh separated and affected by only one bone).

The reload issue i experienced only if my game had skinned meshes with a ridiculously high triangle count. It happens when a there are enough skinned meshes in workspace for me that they account for around 1-2 million triangles of the currently rendered triangles. Interestingly enough this does not happen if I use my custom system that does not use humanoids and my characters instead use an AnimationController with a Animator. So I believe this is related to the humanoid renderer.

My rigs definitely have high triangle counts, but we strictly use AnimationController so I can confirm this doesn’t have anything to do with Humanoids.

Bones are also located directly in the mesh so this would say this isn’t a culling issue caused by the bones too far away from their vertex groups…

I can say this issue wasn’t happening at runtime a couple days ago (just noticed the glitchy stuff when hovering our rigging place), it started this morning and it’s been pretty much non stop happening now in every Start server with 2 players I’ve done in the past 4 hours.

If there’s anything we can do to make sure this doesn’t start happening in our game, let us know.

1 Like

Hi prisman, can you try disabling the new Studio outlines? You can switch to the “Bounding Boxes” selection style only for now as described here Selection Improvements - #272 by kirazeee325

1 Like

The second video seems to be an unrelated issue, do you happen to have a test place file for this you can share (through private message)?

2 Likes

Could you check in the render tab? I could try to repro this issue with a rig that has over 200k triangles. And send it here tomorrow when I got the time for it.

2 Likes

Thanks - I’ve responded in the private message thread associated with this post. Let me know if you can access those messages

This issue is still occurring, could we still follow up?