Skinned MeshPart Question

Hello! I was reading through the posts that discuss how Skinned MeshParts are now live…

Recently I made a mesh of a character, would I be able to import this as a mesh, animate it, and then import it and it still be a humanoid NPC or character? Or would it be better to still rig it the same classic way and separate the parts as usual? If so, in Blender, how would I go about easily separating each part?

Also, reading this quote, would I be able to make armor that would mesh well with the animations? I’m not sure if I’m understanding it correctly.

Thanks!
MashedNaters

2 Likes

Hello I did not understand the beginning of your question, but to export it to R15 you have to make your rig on a blender, associate it with the mesh and then separate the mesh into 15 pieces for each member. You export everything to roblox (the rig and the 15 pieces) and you will have a deformable R15. I admit that I did not understand roblox’s explanation for the accessories either. What I do is I make the costumes or armor on blender and I associate them with the character rig, but I don’t see how the player can change accessories

@Hiuh29 He is talking about skinned meshpart the one you said is the old method

@MashedNaters Wat you have to do is rig your character in blender then export it into a fbx file.

Then in roblox studio go in avator import and then in custom and choose your fbx file DONE!! now you can animate it like how you can in blender no need to separate all parts.

Yes I know but you can use the skinned meshpart by separating your mesh, it’s quite useful if you want to cut a limb with a sword for example in an animation

1 Like

What I was asking at first, would it be beneficial to use one mesh part with a skeleton to rig rather than cutting it into pieces and rigging it the classic way. But it seems like the classic route is the way to go. My only obstacle now is actually cutting the pieces and placing them in separate collections in blender.

Just separate the mesh when it is associated with the skeleton it does not change the deformation

Can relate, I’m having issues with one of my custom rigs (it won’t animate in the game).

I can’t figure out how to make it run animations in the server. Does anyone have a possible solution for that?

What do you mean? You made animations on Blender ?

Yeah, I did.

They import properly and can be animated inside of the animation editor, but I can’t figure out how to animate a custom rig since I have to use the option on the right side of the “Avatar importer” plugin.

If you can’t figure it out, I’ll just put the new post I made here (perhaps it’ll help the creator of this post if we get any replies onto it):

Oh yes, I see, the animations that I import from blender for my custom character change completely in the animator editor of roblox, how do you keep the animation the same?

Mine are pretty simplistic, that’s probably why.

1 Like