Skinned MeshPart Studio Beta

Amazing, While on that, i want to ask a silly question

Will there be at any point the option to make certain meshparts share the bones with the main model?
like adding a hat or a shirt and making it blend and follow the model, just like if the model had that accessory in the model itself, i feel asking this because if i were to add character customization i would want the option to add clothing accessories etc…

The explanation is probably really sloppy, but i hope you understand

6 Likes

@EliteEngineer_DEV

As long the hat is connected to the other MeshParts of the body via one of the supported connections - eg. it is welded or have a Motor6D connecting it - then the vertices of the hat will be deformed by the Bones in the body.
You’d just have to make the hat so that its vertices are bound to the joints of the body.

4 Likes

Oh, that’s a really neat feature, ill get working on it, this update it’s truly amazing, thanks for all the help, it’s cool to see roblox staff be so active

3 Likes

After this beta was re-enabled, i started getting crashes (with enabled beta only) when i tried to open one of my studio saves, i investigated a bit, and found that the possible reason is that one of my models had parts with same names as bones (i made it when i just started experimenting with mesh deformation, so i had no clue how to properly set it up)

studio version: 0.445.0.410316 (64bit)
file that crashes studio: MeshDeformationCrash.rbxl (23.2 KB)

Alright following these instruction i used the 2 methods.

Sorry if expanding too much on 1 argument, but am I doing something wrong?
Basiclly when on the animation editor and trying the hat it doesn’t move along with the head or blend, it stays still in the hair.
Anyone may know the issue?

Result with both methods< Screenshot_3603

6 Likes

@RobieTheCat i mean the clothing from the catalog (2D Clothing)
Also body packages will be skinned too?
Thank you.

@OneSkyVed - Thank you for pointing out this issue, and providing the test file. A fix is being worked on.

The crash happens when there are Parts without Bone children connected to skinned MeshParts.

3 Likes

@RobieTheCat i mean the clothing from the catalog (2D Clothing)
Also body packages will be skinned too?
Thank you.
@NerfLambdaWarrior120

2D clothing will work as before.
And yes, there will be new skinned mesh body packages.

4 Likes

Good to listen @RobieTheCat Hope see them soon! :+1:

1 Like

Absolutely. Imagine a demogorgon model in Roblox or some sort of Scary creature. The scare factor would go up immediately.

2 Likes

Are there any plans to support scaling from Blender? Animations appear small when imported into Roblox, if the model was exported at a smaller size. Example:

2 Likes

I’d assume so. Plus it’s in beta so things that need to be fixed or requests should be filled in. Although I have no proof that they’re gonna add it, it’s just what I suspect.

3 Likes

@AbsurdBartholomew wrote:
“Are there any plans to support scaling from Blender? Animations appear small when imported into Roblox, if the model was exported at a smaller size”

Currently, you can use the export settings in Blender to scale the mesh or animation on export.
So you could also export the animation at the smaller size.

@AllYourBlox Can you comment on support for scaling animation translation to match scaled Models at runtime?

5 Likes

i’ve tryed using animation scaling.
i keyframed save scale them scaled to increase and decrease in loop but the model just keeped moving and no scale happened.
any plan for that? or is that what you marked @AllYourBlox for comment?

Im a Bit Confused how to enable this

1 Like

That method doesn’t seem to work. I’ve tried changing the Apply Scalings option and Apply transform option, but it still stayed at that weird size.

Could it be I’m using the latest commit for 2.79 and not 2.8x?

1 Like

I had this problem too, imported the scaled rig/model and it was at the adjusted scale but when I import animations from FBX they don’t seem to be affected by the scale at which I export them from blender.

1 Like

Exactly what happened to me! I can’t apply the armature’s scale, or else the animation breaks.

1 Like

I have finally found out how to fix this!

I found something that really helps off of Reddit. Here’s the post: https://www.reddit.com/r/blender/comments/eu3w6m/guide_how_to_scale_a_rigify_rig/

STEPS:

1. Open the Python console, and type rescale = YOUR_SCALE_VALUE
  2. Type in the console rescale_actions = ['ACTION_NAME']
  3. Paste this script into the console (NOT THE TEXT EDITOR), and press enter twice:
for action_id in rescale_actions:
    for fcurve in bpy.data.actions[action_id].fcurves:
        data_path = fcurve.data_path
        if data_path.startswith('pose.bones[') and data_path.endswith('].location'):
            for p in fcurve.keyframe_points:
                p.co[1] *= rescale

You may then scale your armature to the size you used for rescale, and apply the scale. Hope this helps! Sure saved me a bunch of potential waiting.

5 Likes

I’m trying to make a spider enemy but I’m coming across some problems. When an animation plays on the spider, its root bone does not move at all. See this:

Here is the structure of the spider’s model:
This problem is caused by the MeshPart being connected to the HumanoidRootPart (shown in red) as a child joint. I’ve structured it this way because I want the MeshPart to not collide and instead let the HumanoidRootPart be the model’s collision box. I’ve tried for hours to figure out how to structure the spider differently while still allowing it to step over small obstacles. For instance, I tried out swapping it so that the collision box was instead jointed as the child of the MeshPart. But when I did this, I could not figure out how to make the spider stand at the correct height at all times (no matter how I edited the Humanoid.HipHeight, it would sometimes be stuck on the ground, or float too high above the ground) By the way, the only reason I have placed a bone within the HumanoidRootPart is since the game will crash unless I do so (as noted in the original post of this thread).

Here’s a showcase of the spider animation when I was testing just getting the MeshPart to animate (the MeshPart was the only part in the spider’s model at that time). See how the spider’s body bobs up and down instead of staying completely stationary?

3 Likes