Skinned MeshPart Studio Beta

Yes, you’ll have to subdivide that tube along its length, otherwise the “bending” will just be the end discs rotating. Our skinning is linear blend skinning also (not dual quaternion), so a wire will not bend in a way that preserves volume if there are just bones at the end, it will crimp. You need a short chain of bones from end to end to make it look like a flexible wire or hose.

2 Likes

Regardless if anyone asked for this or not there is only good that can come from this you will see most developers using this from now on but im pretty sure this has been asked for many times.

1 Like

Thank you :slight_smile:

What about this?

Would it be possible, or would I have to use one MeshPart per bend, and just add a new one when needed?

I didn’t catch that, haha woops.

1 Like

For a given skinned MeshPart, the number and names of bones the vertices are weighted to is all set up in your 3d modeling program and can’t be editing in Studio. You can remove Bone Instances from the MeshPart if you don’t need them on a particular copy of that MeshPart, but that’s all. I’m not sure exactly what you’re envisioning doing, but it does sound like a variable-length chain of short segments is the best option, where each segment is a copy of the same MeshPart. The other option is a long MeshPart with many bones and code (trig) to calculate how much each one has to move and rotate for the wire to take a specific shape. Which is best kind of depends on what the minimum and maximum runs are, and how it’s texture mapped (if it is).

3 Likes

I’m using vertex colored faces, so I don’t think it would be much of an issue.

Thank you so much :slight_smile: That was super helpful. I now know where to go with it.

1 Like

It seem to be a really great update, it could be extremely useful for developers to make more realistic games.

Edit: it could also be useful for those who do GFX and animations

I saw an extremely neat video featuring this on Twitter. Very excited to see how game developers would incorporate these into their projects. This is a game changer.

1 Like

Has this been released in beta? I’m in beta, as well as have studio updated and I’m not seeing any options to use Skinned Mesh. I have Roblox Studio Version 0.442.3.409454 (64bit) It also says this is the latest version available.

I’ve uninstalled and reinstalled studio. But I still do not have an option to enable Skinned Mesh. Is this on A/B Testing?

1 Like

Disabled on my end as well when it was working well a couple hours ago :thinking:

Oh. Okay, it would be good if others could confirm this too. I actually never enabled it. So to me, it just looked as if I was left out. Was deeply saddened by this.

I can confirm that I had the option to select Skinned Meshes in my beta features yesterday, and today the option is no longer there.

1 Like

@vector3_zero, @T0ny, and @The_Aliens
Yes, the Beta has been temporarily turned off. It will be back.

4 Likes

What feature sets are all supported currently? AKA and we import rigs with IK and/or drivers and have them work?

1 Like

I have been waiting for this forever! Thank you for bringing it to light! :hugs:

2 Likes

Like the custom avatar function, it is glitchy abit for me like the root part can go far away from the rig sometimes.

1 Like

Is there any reason why joints can’t be rotated (i.e. they have to be pointing straight up)?

i wonder how much time it took you guys to make the full release of this feature :thinking:

2 Likes

And can we make this “Skinned mesh” on roblox studio in the future?

1 Like

can we add ik to these rigs on roblox?