Skinned MeshParts are live!

Yes, this is a known issue we are investigating. Thanks for your patience.

3 Likes

Thanks for reporting this, we are investigating.

1 Like

Sorry for the inconvenience, we are working on the importer, and we hope to make this process simpler in the future.

Please bear with me because I won’t have be able to get on a pc for the next week

So the problems with scaling and textures you can fix by importing the fbx the right way, which is:
If you are using blender, make sure the scaling is .01 instead of 1
Also when you are in the export menu at the top turn the path mode(that might be the right word?) To copy and click the little folder icon right next to it
Also I heard something about the uniform value messing up the export, I didn’t change it and haven’t had that issue because of it.

So exporting animations is sometimes tricky, I used a time intense and inconsistent method of exporting animations and it worked but @GolgiToad provided a better method so I deleted the old one. mixamo which is an online tool that will also work.

Ez method

doing this in a copy of your file is recommend

Find the animation that you want to export and put “aa” at the beginning of the name, after you have exported it as an fbx, rename the file to what it was before and repeat.

I use the export options of the normal(including bake animation) without start-end keyframes, leaf bones thingies. Then the nla strips were varying, sometimes I needed them on and sometimes I needed them off, if your animation does not import correctly try toggling the opposite of the value you had for nla strips. That should be it

Import your fbx animations into roblox animation editor and name them accordingly, once you are happy with them, publish them to roblox.
I use the default animation local script that you can get by clicking play in studio(without a StarterCharacter) going into your explorer, find the animate script under your character copying it, clicking stop, and pasting it into imported character. Then go into the children of the script and delete all the animations that you don’t have for your custom character(you may have to modify them in your script where there is a tap each of all the animation values if this method doesn’t work) and pasting all the animation numbers into the animation under the values

That should work, expect if you are having issues with the walk animation not being what it is supposed to be, it is because the animate script is trying to mesh your wall and run animations together which you can prevent it from doing that by deleting a certain line in the script that is in a function that is called something about running which calls a function which is called something with speed, if someone can paste the first 600 lines of the script here that would be great so that I can tell y’all which line it is.

And RightHand, I would suggest using the method that I recently posted, but if none of the bones are in the right place, you can add a bone in blender, add it to your animations and track that bone with a script posted earlier.

2 Likes

Did @Dyzcroll’s solution work for you?

1 Like

Some notes on attaching tools…

Just to clarify, if you are using an S15 rig, you should be able to attach tools just as for the R15.
That is, you can make a rigid Part and attach it with Welds or Hinges etc.
You can also make the tool mesh with joints in the authoring tool (ie. make the tool a skinned mesh), in which case when joined on to the character the skinning will put the mesh on top of the R15/S15 rig.

If you have an S1 rig - made of a single MeshPart but many Bone Instances - you currently need to make the tool a skinned mesh. Or use the lua script mentioned above.

However, very soon you will be able to attach MeshParts to Bones, as below:

If you are feeling adventurous you can try this now by turning on FFlagSimConstraintsWorkWithBones.

15 Likes

Thanks for your tips. I’m working through the bugs, one at a time, just as a learning exercise.

Specific to your advice:

I tried copying textures with your method, instructions seemed to be correct, but the result was a hot mess. I’ll put this aside, as I do everything with SurfaceAppearance anyway.

I have my own scaling, I just forgot to do it.

My animations are fine, but there’s something off about that “RightHand” meshpart. I deleted it, and everything works great. I just need to do some math to pull each animation out of the file. Low priority since its not broken.

Thanks again!

Yea, using surface appearance is probably smarter, if you want your fbx texture to be good than you need to bake all of your images onto one image which i am not the best at but have figured out how to do.

1 Like

They will be replicated right, and will they replicate from client to server or not?

Anyone know how to fix this @RobieTheCat @willbobdie

I would need to have a file of your skinned mesh and play around with it, but I can’t because I won’t be able to get on a pc for the next week

All issues are resolved except texture mapping. Would have gotten further if this UV mapping didn’t set off the censors. Probably an ear… Frustrating.

Anyway, dumping a full day’s work and starting over. Dumbing it down. Maybe Take 2 tomorrow. :skull_and_crossbones:

3 Likes

What was wrong with your UV mapping?

1 Like

Not sure, I got a vague terms of service warning. I am now going through and drastically reducing the complexity of my UV mapping and the image itself, to reduce the opportunity for another false positive.

It’s… painful.

I can call this Take 2, I suppose.

A lot of work to get her to this point:

1. Complete overhaul of UV Mapping twice.
    1a) Removal of all shading except the face so that I could continue this project.
  2. Removal of all PBR textures from blender. Wherever I used multiple images for one texture, Roblox could not map it, either during the upload or with SurfaceAppearance.
  3. Removal of all extra UV maps. Roblox would grab the first one if there were 2.
  4. (FIX #2) 1 material per part. That’s the same as any mesh. I expected this.
  5. Fixed her facing (she would run sideways)
  6. Rebuilt the eyes to support lenses.
  7. (FIX #1) Removal of non-skinned constraints. Roblox didn’t handle these well, and made the eyes come out of their sockets. I will have to animate eye tracking with scripts.
  8. (FIX #3) Unpacking all animations. The animation editor does not have any way of setting the start or end of the animation like I had wanted.

The result is not perfect, but a significant step forward! One video shows her at her best… the other… not-so-much.

1. (PROBLEM #5, Part 2) The origin of the uploaded character becomes the HumanoidRootPart, a (2,2,1) sized block. I thought it was supposed to be a bone. Either way, I had to up the size of the character to giant proportions to keep the HRP from dragging in the ground and sending her flying. The size of the HRP might be dependent on something in the FBX file, but I can’t find it.
  2. Even now, this (2,2,1) HRP and a hip height of 5 do not produce a stable character model (see second video). She bounces all over the place and occasionally land on her feet and starts the idle animation. At a high enough hip height, she floats without bouncing. I am going to try removing custom bone shapes and see if they are interfering with the physics of the model.
  3. Some unknown force is affecting the “hair armature” causing crumpling instead of a light back and forth movement. Something else is causing the armor to come out of alignment.
  4. SurfaceAppearance textures needed.

robloxapp-20210609-2153095.wmv (489.7 KB) robloxapp-20210609-2155504.wmv (1.1 MB)

2 Likes

Ya, to export your character to roblox, like you said earlier, there needs to be one UV map, one material for each part which contains one image texture for that material.
So if you have multiple materials or PBR textures or textures that are not image textures(like color ramps and diffuses and all that good stuff) then you need to bake all of that onto one image which is under a single material which is under a single UV map.

Edit:Make a copy of your blender file and do the following in their so it won’t mess up your file

If you don’t know how to bake, it can be tricky, here is a tutorial and some tips Baking Multiple Textures onto One Map | No Plugins - YouTube
So if the instructions in the video aren’t working, here might be why:
So first you have to make sure you are in the right rendering engine(I forget which one), it probably tells you in the vid
The image you create must be called “Untitled” in my experience and must be a new image that you have done nothing to
You might not need to join your parts together like the person did in the video
To conserve time, wait until the bake is around 5-10 percent and cancel it, if it does not align with the uv map troubleshoot
If your bake if darker, I’m not sure if this helps but turn your world lighting to white(can’t remember where that is)
If your bake is makes your textures bigger, make sure that your original UV maps were not bigger than your image, if they were, then cut them up into smaller pieces or make your image bigger
Before baking, if your textures are warped and wacky then you need to use seams and look up a tutorial on that

If you got your bake done and import your character into roblox and see that some colors are not the same, make sure that(if it is a single color like a uniform skin tone) it is not 1 pixel, if it is than it will blend into the colors around it. The fix to this is to go to a photoshop software, I use pixlr e(which is online and free) pique that color, and make a 100 by 100 pixel square of that color(on the same image). Go into roblox or blender and change the image texture to that of your modified image, (if you did it in blender then export it again) and it should look good, if it doesn’t than try changing the uv mapping to fit that square.

Another thing, if you have your character and zoom out a bit and see that there are lines in your texture for each face and it doesn’t look good then(I haven’t actually fixed this on my character) you can either change the rendering fidelity of your character to precise( not sure if this works) or get your image in a photo shop software and change the background color from the background color( mine was black) to the overall color of your of the textures in your image, you can probably use fill(paint bucket whatever it is) on the background color(with 0 tolerance if that is in your software)

Also if you convert to wmv files to mp4(there are online converters) then people will be able to view the video without downloading it.

1 Like

Baking is probably what caused my mess the last time! I will try SurfaceAppearance and see how she looks (less plastic I hope).

I have figured out both the visual artifact issues I have going on. One was user error (I applied a transformation), and the other has to do with collisions of the feet with the ground. Still no idea how to fix the HRP sizing issue, but that might go away with these other changes.

I will convert my videos. I find it interesting that a Roblox sponsored forum does not support the Roblox default recording format… :thinking:

Take 3, and its done! SurfaceAppearance and 3 animations (all I created)!

1. If the animation goes into the floor, the character jumps. Weird, but was trivial enough to clean up.
  2. Jumping uncontrolled like this messes up bones (hair), which messes up the mesh.
  3. HRP can be shrunk to 0.1% its size (0.2,0.2,0.1) without harming the rig.

Bonus round: going to see if I can hold a torch and sword with the method Robie mentioned.

Hopefully a better video.

1 Like

That looks really nice! Other than your jumping and running animations, that looks very good and (i guess) realistic. Also are you trying to make one of the characters from dead by daylight? And did you script your own animation script or modify the default one?

The style is 3:1 chibi (3 parts body, 1 part head), with more natural facial features. This leaves room for 2:1 chibi kids and full chibi pets. I dream big lol.

The jumping animation is the default animation (her base pose is arms outstretched, eyes closed). I made idle, run, and walk from scratch following a YouTube tutorial. When I expand my animation portfolio, I’m going to start with that base pose and jumping. I agree the running animation needs to be tweaked. It’s too fast for this run speed, and the teeth fell out so it looks like she’s whistling! :joy:

This is all for a dungeon crawler, so before any of this happens, I need to fix the torch that’s rolling around on the ground. It’s supposed to weld to the left hand which is now missing. What little game I have built is more fun in the dark!