Skinned MeshParts are live!

There’s just one problem, one problem.

1. The bone movement is quite delayed
  2. When a decal (or any texture on it) changes, it goes back to its initial bone state (I’m trying to make a moving wall that turns its head to your body, and it blinks, so whenever the eye texture changes it always goes back to its initial state)

To further explain about number 2, changing a decal’s transparency, removing a decal, ect. makes the bone go back to its initial state as well. Also, clickdetector hitboxes aren’t compatible with this.
I understand that this is still a very early release, but this has been in beta for quite some time now.
I expected this to be flawless.

Two weeks ago we could import our custom creatures and it would generate HumanoidRootPart and all proper attachment connections…and we could load custom animations through FBX. As of last week, our imports stopped generating HumanoidRootPart & attachment connections.

Did you guys update the custom importer? Please let us know as our entire creature pipeline is built on this importer and right now our game production is held up.

Thanks
Before:

After:

1 Like

Love the update. Been waiting for this for literal ages.

However, any possible way that we could get real time deforming functionality within studio? i.e without having to go into the animator. I kinda dislike the fact that I have to go into blender to rig when I feel like doing it manually would be so much easier. Rigging in blender is a complete nightmare for those who’re new. Rigging in Roblox is so much easier.

I almost wish that I could be able to access wireframe & vertices within each part similar to how blender does it to create an avatar that way. Less of a learning curve if you’re familiar with studio. A mirror option would also be cool if possible.

Thanks.

1 Like

The Custom option for the Avatar Importer no longer requires the ‘_Geo’ tag in order to support any rig. I’ve switched over to using ‘Rthro’ instead and it works the same way Custom did before from what I’ve experienced- you may have some extra values in your import thought, like OriginalScale but you can just delete that.

There’s just one problem, one problem.

1. The bone movement is quite delayed
  2. When a decal (or any texture on it) changes, it goes back to its initial bone state (I’m trying to make a moving wall that turns its head to your body, and it blinks, so whenever the eye texture changes it always goes back to its initial state)

To further explain about number 2, changing a decal’s transparency, removing a decal, ect. makes the bone go back to its initial state as well. Also, clickdetector hitboxes aren’t compatible with this.
I understand that this is still a very early release, but this has been in beta for quite some time now.
I expected this to be flawless.

1 Like

@iSyriux Can you elborate on, “goes back to its initial state”?
Does it flicker for one frame - or loose any changes to the Bone entirely?

4 Likes

I think he means when he changes something like a decal, the rotation, position etc. get put into it’s starting (original) state.

1 Like

It flickers for one frame and goes back to what it’s supposed to look like.
When my blink script makes the open eye decal invisible and makes the closed eye decal visible, that’s when it flickers (It could happen on any texture change though)
Fast Blinks:

Slow Blinks (1 second):

(Here is my script, for reference)

while wait(math.random(10,50)/10) do
	local e = math.random(1,2)
	if e==1 then
		script.Parent.Op.Transparency = 1
		script.Parent.Bl.Transparency = 0
		wait(1)
		script.Parent.Op.Transparency = 0
		script.Parent.Bl.Transparency = 1
	else
		wait(1)
		wait(1)
		wait(1)
	end
end
2 Likes

(Ps.) Your monitor refresh rate has to be fast enough to see the flickering, or else it will appear as if there was nothing wrong.

2 Likes

@iSyriux Thanks for the information. It will update the known issues.
A couple of other developers have seen a similar issue.

3 Likes

I apologize if this has been brought up already;

Are skinned mesh animations going to be supported for display through a ViewportFrame → WorldModel → Skinned Rig? Currently, when you play an AnimationTrack under that hierarchy, the ViewportFrame only renders when you change mesh properties such as Anchored. Thus, you don’t see the animation at all.

Example:

non-skinned mesh rig animation played in viewport frame

You can see it’s updating every frame without me doing anything

skinned mesh rig animation played in viewport frame

You can see it’s not updating the frame unless I force it by selecting Anchored on a rig piece.

Both of these rigs are being played in the exact same scenario and method, the only difference is one is a skinned mesh and the other is not.

3 Likes

Is there/will there be a way to attach meshes to skinned MeshParts like overlaying clothing and/or other attachments to be affected by the very same mesh deformation?

1 Like

Human
Spent all day trying to figure it all out but think they look cool with mixamo animations.

2 Likes

@Fm_Trick Skinned mesh animation in ViewportFrames should work as per regular animations. This is a bug and will be fixed.

4 Likes

@Avallachi, You can attach skinned MeshParts to other skinned meshes using the supported connection types, eg. Weld, or Motor6Ds etc. - and they will be affected by the same Bones/Parts.

2 Likes

I’m not sure if you quite understood the question, I might’ve formulated it poorly, or I might not have understood the reply, but I meant that for example a jacket would bend as well with the skinned mesh it’s connected to as a separate mesh. Is/would that possible? Would I need to have bones for both the jacket and the, let’s say, torso/shoulder?

@Avallachi Provided both the Torso and the jacket mesh are authored to skin to the same joints/Bones and the MeshParts are connected then they will move/skin together.
There would only be one controlling set of Bones/Parts. You could have all Bones or any combination of MeshParts with same named joint or Bones.
For example, say you had an R15 rig with all skinned MeshParts - something we have been calling an S15. If you made a jacket in Blender, and skinned/weighted the vertices to a set of Blender bones with those R15 joints, once it’s connected to the R15 rig it will deform as the rig plays animations.

3 Likes

Ah, alright! Thanks for the clarification. :slight_smile:
Also… happy birthday! :birthday:

Edit: In what way can one “author” the jacket to be affected by the torso’s bones and how would one properly connect them? Me and my partner have been playing around with it for a bit but haven’t gotten any luck. I’m sure we’ll figure out how, but it’d help with pointers. Thanks.

Apologies for writing about this issue again, however this is quite a big issue which prevents the use of tools. I do not know if I am missing the way to do it but how is it even possible to put a tool/handle on a character and succeed with it moving coordinately with the mesh/character evenly?

I have tried welding, motor6ds etc. Everything ends up looking tacky and just not pretty to look at. The best way to probably do it is bones however they do not replicate with the animations.

It ends up looking like this;
https://gyazo.com/8bca21f2382b449980ecfa8fb082b703

Will there be future support for connecting tool handles with mesh bones or any other ways?

3 Likes

I am curious if there is a way that we can go to properly export rigs made in studio?