Skybox: keep the sun but get rid of the moon

Skyboxes have the ability to remove CelestialObjects, which means the sun, the moon, and the stars (when it’s night).

The problem is, I want to be able to remove the moon and keep the sun.

Here is the sun in front of a nice, starry background, Bloom and SunRay effects included. Looks stellar, wouldn’t you say?

In contrast, here is the moon:

1. The moon is translucent
  2. This is deep space. There are no planets to have moons around.

I hope something can be done about this.

31 Likes

Is there anything that prevents you using your own sun?

Isn’t SunRays linked to the sun object?

EDIT: apparently not.

I don’t want to make my own because hell if I know how to edit cubemaps

Using your own sun is one workaround, but the ability to separately toggle each celestial body is still handy to have.

4 Likes

There should be a generic CelestialBody instance, so we could even have multiple moons

37 Likes

with custom image IDs would be great

12 Likes

Great idea, plus what Youre_Waifu has said.

4 Likes

Fun fact: Roblox’s skybox implementation is based on G3D
https://sourceforge.net/projects/g3d/files/g3d-cpp/6.05/

4 Likes

Then I could finally add in my Death Star!!

:evil:

3 Likes

Personally, I believe the whole concept of sky boxes needs a complete redo. (I heard rumors that this will come, but not sure when though.)

3 Likes

ROBLOX hasn’t really touched the skybox systems since it’s original conception, the skybox properties and functionality really hasn’t changed much since 2010, or maybe even 2008, except maybe the image qualities.

I think a complete redo and a dynamic sky system would be really cool - from what I remember currently, the count of stars don’t work properly anymore. This could definitely use a really cool yet basic overhaul.

3 Likes

They have changed the skybox a few times over the years, and as recently as 2014 they changed the night sequence so there is a twilight (but it’s not very good because it looks like you’re in a cube instead of a sky).

1 Like

Oh yeah, I did notice that! And yeah it’s really cubed on each face.

But other then that I imagine it really hasn’t been touched majorly for years - some of the original concept images that are not used for the skybox anymore are still in the game files - I recall a .jpeg image depicting sunrays or something back in 2015, probably still there.

1 Like

This is true, it’s so frustrating. The skybox is usually half of what the player sees in your game and it hasn’t been touched in almost TEN YEARS

5 Likes

Well lets not touch it for the next ten years :smiley:

3 Likes

I don’t think it should be touched until something generic and future-proof can be designed. I remember seeing some dynamic cloud demos during my internship a few years back, so it hasn’t been completely forgotten.

2 Likes

I attempted to do the same thing in my space world. I tried a neon part sun first, which was OK, but required a local script to keep it in the right place relative to the camera, otherwise it has too much parallax against the sky box which gives away that it’s too close (~3000 studs). What I ended up doing instead is turning off celestial bodies, but adding a SunRays effect set to a very low intensity and zero spread. You can’t place the sun anywhere arbitrarily, but you can vary the look and position quite a bit through a combination of the SunRays intensity, time of day, and latitude. Not a perfect solution, but the best I could come up with for a distant sun and no semi-transparent Earth’s moon.

3 Likes

also it would be awesome if we could choose own decals as pictures for multiple suns and moons :smiley:

Where can I find more info on this?

cubemaps or the SunRays object?