Skybox not loading on client

Hello, I have recently come across a bug within the roblox client where the skybox seems to not load and only show a black “sky”. This occurrence seems to be very rare as it has only happened to me once upon loading into my game, but in the past I have had reports from other players facing the same issue.

Here is what I mean:

When this happened, I was playing on a desktop with an RTX 2070 and Intel core i7, if that helps you pinpoint any issue.

Here are also a few other players that faced the issue.

What’s interesting here is that it seems like it isn’t an issue of the texture assets not loading, as the images for the sky my game uses are also used within a viewport frame gui as shown here, where the sky images seem to have loaded just fine.

I checked to see if the sky instance exists within the server by using the developer console, and it does:

My game also has a feature where sometimes it rains and the skybox changes to a different variant. When this happens, the skybox actually starts working again, along with the atmosphere, even with the original skybox which was showing a black sky at first. (Please note that the rain and normal skyboxes are seperate sky instances and not just a single one where the texture is being changed)

4 Likes

Thanks for the report! We’ve filed a ticket to our internal database and we’ll follow up when we have an update for you.

3 Likes

I believe this only happens in games that have an Atmosphere instance under Lighting.

4 Likes

this happends to me when im loading a game ins tudio but is fixed once the game has been compltly loaded

1 Like

I see you have an RTX-- that is very interesting as I just started having this issue myself on my new PC. (RTX 3060)

It might be interesting to see if it has anything to do with Nvidia’s drivers for RTX. Might help to see if your discord can provide more insight.

1 Like