Atmosphere may be causing Skyboxes to be BLACK on some PCs

Subreddit post with photos: https://www.reddit.com/r/robloxjailbreak/comments/jha3ul/hold_up_hereeeeeee/

This has been an intermittent problem since we began using Atmosphere in our game. We think it’s related. Some players will report seeing a black skybox. This is only on the client as other players can see it just fine. One person reported having a Macbook Air 2017, so maybe it’s a performance issue on slower machines.

I currently do not have steps to reproduce this. I play my own game a lot and have never come across this, but my machine has more powerful than most of our players.

Hoping some others in this forum have come across this and can provide more information. As far as I know, this doesn’t happen when loading the game. The sky will go black while you’re playing.

22 Likes

Hey, I was browsing through the dev forum and I found this:

(I don’t know if this has anything related to your problem or not).

1 Like

Maybe this is a low memory problem.

Anybody have a good repro?

6 Likes

Odd. Adding a lot of terrain usually gives me those weird effects to. It also always crashed my game. But that is probably not the problem you have. And i think you may have to take out or change the atmosphere

The next time it happens, ask them to take a screenshot of the developer logs. I’ve seen slow PCs outright not load in some assets, especially assets that aren’t as essential. Not sure too much could be done about this unless this behavior is not intended.

Yes it may be a low memory problem. But I dont know for sure. Usually when i use a conputer that has little memory left it lags a lot and takes a while longer then usual. There is a chance the memory is too low to put it in. But there is a 99% chance it is something else.

I’ve observed that this happens when one or more of the skybox faces fail to load, resulting in the black sky.

No idea if it’s related but the Glare property of the Atmosphere object also doesn’t appear to do anything other than increasing the sun-size in recent Studio updates, even with EnvironmentalSpecularScale enabled.

Some people go into the texture files for roblox and delete the textures including the skybox, for example my friend does this and it is black for him.

But this might not be related to this issue.

1 Like

Thanks for the report! We’ve filed a ticket to our internal database and we’ll follow up when we have an update for you.

6 Likes

It also happens to me, in my potato pc!
Also, this happens sometimes when i insert a skybox from the toolbox (yes, my game has an atmosphere object)

This is still happening for some users, i have one report after enabling this in my relatively small discord community, so it is likely not a rare issue.

I may have to stop using Atmosphere until this is fixed. :frowning:

2 Likes

Can confirm this is happening as well. This is still an issue, I dont know what exactly is causing this.

1 Like

I started getting report about this recently in my game. I made a post on another topic here:

2 Likes

I have had this happen to me on numerous occasions when entering studio too. It seems to be correlated to Atmospheres, as I also use atmospheres in my studio.

It usually fixes when you leave and rejoin the studio or game.

The engineers need some info from you developers that are experiencing this issue. They would like Dxdiag info with machine specs so they can try to figure out whats going on. You can DM me the files so you dont have to post them publicly.

5 Likes

I have sent two DxDiag files from players of my game to the bug-files inbox:
https://devforum.roblox.com/t/dxdiags-for-atmosphere-causing-black-sky/1127245

2 Likes

Thanks. I will pass these over to the engineers. As always, when there is an update i will pass it on here.

2 Likes

This has been happening to me with my new computer. I’ve sent you a DxDiag here:

https://devforum.roblox.com/t/black-skybox-dxdiag/1250475

I have the same problem on my Ipad 6th generation, so it’s not a problem specific for the PC.