Small plugin - Path to instance

Hello, tired of writing the path to an instance over and over again by hand? Well, Path to instance is for you!

This little plugin will insert in your script the path to the instances you select

Installation

1. With the plugin installed, go to File > Advanced > Customize Shortcuts

2. Assign a keyboard shortcut

Thanks for reading, have a nice day, afternoon or night
Source code, Plugin

19 Likes

Holy cow, I’m definitely getting this. Thank you for the plugin!

3 Likes

A definite time saver! - especially since it utilizes WaitForChild and not just getting parent of parent until you’ve reached the object lol!

2 Likes

This is awesomeel!!! Thank you!!

Pretty useful for time, but overall you could easily and quickly type it out, and also roblox lua is really smart, so when you add an item to a place, roblox would guess what you want to say so it’s a shortcut.

But still, this is really good, and there could be more features for this so it could be…well a bit more useful, but that’s up to you, I might try coding this but idk.

I’ve been using this plugin for a few days now and I really enjoy using it. I don’t use the whole line of code it generates, but instead copy segments of the path and repurpose it. Really beats typing out the whole path while eyeballing the Explorer window to remember what the hierarchy was.

The only other feature I could see being added would be adding support for relative paths between the script and the selected object in question. As in using a combination of .Parent and :FindFirstAncestor to get the lowest common denominator of two objects.

I wrote up a small example on another thread that explains my idea better

2 Likes

In the future I want to add something like this, also maybe a panel that gives you a choice whether to use WaitForChild, FindFirstChild or like it is now.

1 Like