Small room made with half life 2 texutres

I figured out how to port the many very low quality and tiling textures from source games so I decided to make a random room using some textures from half life 2 and the episodes. I don’t know where this project will go so you can give ideas that would fit this “art” style if you want.

Any feedback will be welcome

8 Likes

I love half life and the half life 2 textures that you used to build the room make it look great!
(maybe just add some realistic lighting with the “future lighting technology”)

3 Likes

I’m liking that already! One tip I have is on stairs that have the same texture, change the OffsetStudsU and OffsetStudsV properties of the textures by varying amounts for each step so they don’t look repetitive.

2 Likes

I would like to use future lighting but since I use normal textures instead of PBR textures, it creates that horrible glare on textures whenever using lights. I know you can decrease the effect with Brightness being zero but it’s better for different lighting types as it completely removes the glare. Thanks for the feedback though!

2 Likes

I get around this issue by setting part material to whatever is vaguely close to the custom texture.
Except this only works best when said texture’s source image actually uses alpha channel (transparency) instead of just being completely opaque (could prolly workaround that by changing texture.transparency).

2 Likes

I’ll start to experiment with different lighting ambients and all of that other wow stuff once i decide what the vision of the project will be about. For now, I’ll finish the basis of the map design and let my mind do the rest of the deciding. Thanks for all of the feedback and likeness of this small project I through together in a day

2 Likes

maybe use the new custom PBR materials? but some half life 2 textures from my experience dont have normal maps and stuff

1 Like

PBR sucks on Roblox. Drains your frames, Hard to implement due to mesh parts being required, Can’t scale to liking and since I think Roblox’s decal size limit is 1024x1024, you can’t scale the texture without it being downscaled automatically. Some textures in Half life 2 do have normal maps, but they don’t work well for some reason, maybe they were implemented for reflections only. I really need a similar solution to PBR if I’m going to create outdoor environments, as the sun’s glare makes all textures look like grease, however I haven’t found one. I may try to implement PBR some time later, but it’s too limited and demanding for my uses.

im not talking about surface appearance im talking about material service but i agree with the draining frames part and the shininess is killing me too im remaking the base for hl1 for fun but if i want just the slight shadows for that i have to set the brightness and it shines on the textures (the parts are also neon)

1 Like

Oh sorry. I heard about that one time, but I didn’t know what it was about. I’ll just do a quick google and check it out

It’s still in beta though. So it won’t work in-game yet =P (bruh automatic emoji is annoying)

1 Like

Yeah just looked at it. Looks really useful. Once it leaves beta, it might remedy the problems I face making these types of games

1 Like

It’s VERY useful to me when I make games you can change the part color and the color of the material will change with it but they’re replacing the material chooser with the stupid material manager which makes it super overcomplicated and annoying to just change 1 parts material (I literally unchecked the custom materials just because of that…)

1 Like