[OLD] SmartBone - An optimized module for Dynamically Simulated Bones

I Couldn’t get it to work and instead it would just break most hairs, So I was curious if anyone had done it,

Not sure what’s going on with your heirarchy, but if you’re making just a ponytail you only need to assign the uppermost bone of the hair as a Root.

Rigged my friend some hair, awesome modual script !

Update :

18 Likes

Me waiting patiently with my eyes peeled for the collision update like :eyes:

11 Likes

I’m curious about whether or not you will be updating the module to have an optional collision-part table

1 Like

Any plans for the collision updates also include support for the new Roblox wind physics?

11 Likes

Including the roblox wind system would be a great idea (can do so much stuff being lazy!)

For some reason whenever I attempt to add two of these “SmartBone” accessories together the bones merge, any solutions?

I had this problem before!, Pretty sure this is a ROBLOX issue instead of SmartBone. What we did was putting the mesh/smartbone instance inside a model and using weldconstraints instead of accessory.

CatEars, HairStyle1, and Ushanka are the smartbone instances.

Example:

1 Like

Create a new model instance and put the mesh inside the model. This is a very hacky fix, but it works.

2 Likes

The actors aren’t destroyed, nor is the ignoreList updated

I want to thank you, i tried to make my own module but it wasn’t even close to your. Thank you so much for ur help.

I’m trying to use it, but I’m so confused if it can be just any MeshPart or it has to be a SkinnedMesh or whatever it’s called? I never used blender before so I was wondering if I can just apply the bones to the mesh in studio instead? I tried putting on the bones to the hair in blender but when I imported it to the game it just wouldn’t work.

Ok, i am trying to male a plugin using your module to make it easier ro use and i wantedto know if it would boder you if i sold this plugin when it come out?

I am already working on my own plugin for this so there’s no need :smiley:

4 Likes

Oh perfect , i won’t need to make my own then

hey. quick question. i’m trying to make hair physics for a mermaid in my game, but i can’t seem to make the hair flow up and down. the mermaid does like a full body rolling swim, so the hair should sorta bounce up and down, but just goes straight.

1 Like

In the force property add a bit of noise like a sin wave so it looks like the water currents are moving the hair around

1 Like

Some fun tests I made, I was very surprised when I found out it worked with SurfaceAppearance so I made a texture for it.

cape attributes
Capture2

tail attributes
Capture

4 Likes

Wow that’s actually super cool!
I’m surprised this isn’t built into the Roblox engine yet because it’s pretty much a standard for game engines to have nowadays.

Unreal, Unity and I think Godot already have bone simulation for hair, clothes and appendages.
Roblox should definitely include this in their engine since implementing it in C++ would likely offer even better performance.
They should hire you tbh.