SmartBone Cape Physics

Hey everyone!

I recently worked on a project where I used the (semi) new feature to build a cape that reacts dynamically to movement—whether it’s running, jumping, or flying. The physics are fully adjustable, meaning you can tweak everything from the stiffness of the cape to the way it flows with the wind.

Some highlights:

• Bone-Controlled Animation: With SmartBones, the cape moves smoothly and naturally without the need for complex animations.
  • Customizable Parameters: You can fine-tune the physics to match your exact vision.
  • Mesh Flexibility: It works with custom meshes (even skinned meshes); I am still working on getting them to work fully with the capes, it just looks a little silly right now.

I will continue to work on the capes and fine tune them :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Wow, great work. I didn’t knew you could do such things in roblox

1 Like

Thank you! Roblox is definitely evolving

Wow! It’s quite realistic! I agree that it needs to be fine tuned a little bit, but it looks great! How long did that take to make?

1 Like

This took me roughly around 8 hours, since I had to make a rough model of the cape, attach the bones, and import it into studio. The biggest challenge was coding the smartbones since there’s a lot that goes into it. I would say 3 out of the 8 hours were on testing alone. Most of the time I was actually trying to attach it to a skinned mesh :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

These cape physics look VERY GOOD AND REALISTIC! GREAT JOB ON THIS! How long did it take to make in total? This is INSANELY cool!

2 Likes

Thank you! This took roughly 8 hours to make

Here is the link to the simulation if you want to see it for yourself!