SmartSelect: The Future of Console-Friendly UI Development

Markplace: https://create.roblox.com/store/asset/18150161599
Open Source: SmartSelect.rbxm (7.0 KB)

Level Up Your UI Development with SmartSelect

Imagine creating a console-friendly UI for your Roblox game as effortlessly as navigating your favorite console menus!

SmartSelect is a revolutionary Roblox plugin that empowers you to do just that. Inspired by the intuitive UI navigation of PlayStation and Xbox consoles, SmartSelect streamlines the process of building and testing a user interface that thrives in both console and PC environments.

Effortless Console-Friendly UI Creation:

• Smart Select: Say goodbye to tedious configuration! SmartSelect automatically identifies selectable UI elements (GuiObjects) and sets the Gamepad selection properties for all visible elements, saving you tons of time and effort.
  • Test Navigation: Experience your UI firsthand! Leverage the built-in “Selection” service in Studio to simulate gamepad navigation using your keyboard’s arrow keys. See how your UI feels and flows just like a console game.
  • Smart Connect: For more granular control, SmartSelect offers a manual option. With a simple triple-click or a dedicated button, connect selectable UI elements seamlessly. Just hold Ctrl while selecting another element to establish a clear connection path.

Benefits for All Developers:

• Boost Your Development Speed: SmartSelect takes the hassle out of creating console-friendly UIs, allowing you to focus on crafting amazing gameplay experiences.
  • Seamless Testing: Test your UI’s console navigation right within Studio, ensuring a smooth and intuitive experience for all players, regardless of platform.
  • Enhanced User Experience: By prioritizing console navigation from the beginning, you create UIs that feel natural and intuitive for console players, leading to a more enjoyable experience.

SmartSelect: The Future of Console-Friendly UI Development

Get started today and unlock the power of console-friendly UIs in your Roblox games!

i used ai to make this description, i ain’t shakespeare

4 Likes

Could you show a video of this plugin in action? I’m confused on what it does.

A basic license could prevent illegal reuse of code. This doesn’t…

16 Likes

But what does this actually do? Its something about Xbox and PS5? Maybe dont get ai to write your descriptions

2 Likes

and this is exactly why using ai is worse than even one genuine sentence. It’s full of fluff and nobody knows what your contribution is about.

Consider rewriting it in your own language. Nobody needs a good story, we just need a relevant story.

6 Likes

Looked like a promising resource at first…
:eyeglasses:

4 Likes

Some videos or at least screenshots would be useful

2 Likes

Can you actually show us how does it function, and a video or image?

2 Likes

alright so basically you get a screenui with textbuttons, textboxs and all that
then you select the screenui and press “start” on the toolbar
then it automatically sets the gamepad properies and I mean the NextSelectionUp, NextSelectionDown, NextSelectionRight, NextSelectionLeft so if the player lets say they’re on playstation, they press the touch pad they go into ui navigation, then they can use the dpad or the thumbstick to move around

my bad dude I saved the plugin as a file to send to someone and I forgot I had it in there

Can we get a demo place to test this or a videos/images?

1 Like

no not really my computer stinks so bad that if I try taking a video with it while in roblox it overheats

1 Like

Could do publish a demo place then? It’s not really appealing that I need to install your plugin, open a place on Roblox Studio, create some UI, and then use your plugin to see what it does.

it basically just gets your ui and check its descendants if it is selectable
then if it is it sets up these properties, NextSelectionUp, NextSelectionDown, NextSelectionRight, NextSelectionLeft to whatever

for example you put two textbuttons side to side, select their ScreenGui and press the “Select” button it sets up the NextSelectionLeft to the button on the left and vice versa

But if you want to go manual, you can use the connect button or click 3 times while selecting a textbutton and hold ctrl (to select multiple) and select the object you want it to move to.

And if you want it to refresh the properties, you can press the “Refresh” button

If you want to test it in studio, you can press play on a Selectable guiobject (or select the screengui) and use your arrow keys to move around (to stop press enter)

Correct me if im wrong but. Aslong as you have Selectable elements, roblox does this automatically

Yes, that’s what the NextSelection property exists for. I think what this resource is trying to achieve is automatic binding of elements that have “Selectable” enabled. What I believe it’s doing is just checking every descendants location and using that to make an educated guess of which direction it is in and if there’s a closer selectable element. I don’t know how well this would behave on UIs with dynamic Visible properties or UIs that move. I would recommend just setting NextSelection manually as this does not and cannot know anything more complicated than static, visible UI.

But, you dont even have to set it manually. Roblox does it by itself

Usually, yes, Roblox will do this automatically. It’s just also not the best at Dynamic UI. This module doesn’t seem to do anything better than what Roblox natively offers.