Smooth Cutscenes | Plugin

Smooth Cutscenes
by len_ny

Download

What is this?

Smooth Cutscenes is a plugin that allows for easy smooth cutscene creation, which becomes useful for creating in-game cutscenes and actions.

Features list

Timeline-based editing

an easy to understand and familiar approach to animating, inspired by Roblox’s animation editor.

Import and export

Allows for easy sharing and reusability of your past cutscenes.

Automatic Theming

The plugin supports and changes based on your current studio theme, providing a seamless experience for both light and dark mode.

Precise Control

You can easily control the type of waypoint interpolation (Linear, Bezier, Hermite), the springs properties (Speed, Dampening, Force, Mass), length, framerate, and point count.

Credits

82 Likes

Wow this is cool! Great job on this! Very in-depth compared to the others I have seen.

How does this differ from the otaku plugin thingy
And is it easier to use?

1 Like

Nice plugin I might be using this for a game I’m working on.

1 Like

The focus of this project of mine was to implement splines into cutscenes while retaining every feature that has a genuine impact on a scene. The last feature I was going to implement was Shake control for individual keys but I decided against it as the size of the plugin was becoming too much for my own Studio to properly hide within the confines of the app and the feature was always going to be an integration of someone else’s code.

tldr it is easier, fits in with your studio theme much nicer, has unique features every other plugin doesn’t have, and will probably be a crowd favorite among animators (considering i took the time to rewrite the timeline & keyframe system)

1 Like

Recently released an update that fixed a few problems and improved the visualization of paths. Hope everyone will enjoy using this as much as I have!

2 Likes

The interface is so much cleaner & intuitive compared to other cutscene plugins! Great work!

This will become my new partner in cutscenes :tada:

1 Like

Looks cool but the minimal size is way too big, I really hate it when stuff like this obstructs 80% of my screen.

Also the way of making keyframes is a bit weird imo, Rather than choosing a type then making the keyframe, I’d rather be able to right click keyframes to change their settings after.

Also there doesn’t seem to be any keyboard binds so i have to manually move my mouse and click for a new keyframe. (Unless i just can’t find the bind)

Also it’s kind of annoying that i can’t create keyframes when one is selected, So i have to click somewhere in the timeline just to create a new keyframe every time i make a new keyframe.

The interface looks really good though, Settings could use a drop-down menu if you don’t want a right click settings menu, And the cutscene creation at the top can be hidden as we don’t use it during cutscene creation.

1 Like

Thanks for the reply and the criticism however I have some of mine to your points that I think you’ll enjoy reading about.

Plugins have no control over the right click menu unfortunately so I cannot actually implement that, especially since it would have to be inside the GUI the plugin already uses and would look clunky if I did that.

Choosing a type and then making a keyframe is essential to UI as I found there were a couple of issues with letting the type be freeroam:

1. without it locking the type the difference between selecting and unselecting a keyframe would have the GUI essentially be the same between both possibilities and caused me to have more accidents than I wanted
  2. by letting you change the type I would have to clear out all previous point data because the types require different amounts of points to function, aka more accidents.

I am willing to add keyboard binds and will likely do so in the following days when I have free time, they were an oversight on my part and you are entirely right in wanting them built into the plugin.

…And the idea of a dropdown style settings system isn’t a bad one but I don’t really see how I could implement that while retaining the absolute seamless nature of the plugin’s current GUI. An alternative idea is that I shrink the size of the features as a whole, besides a few that need to be a certain size, so that it doesn’t require such a large minimum plugin size.

Why would having your own right click menu be clunky? Either way a keybind leading to seperate menu with settings would work too, I just think the plugin looks really messy and cluttered right now.

With this i can only assume you mean my point where i told you about having to click in an empty spot in the timeline before it let me create another keyframe, If so you could just fix this by only allowing you to place a keyframe on your timeline cursor when it isnt on another keyframe.

I think having something like the roblox dropdown, With categories such as “Keyframe Data” (Holding the type and points.), “Keyframe Animation” (Used for the tweening.), Could work just fine
It could look something like this
stuff
(Great artist)

And for convience +/- could swap between the categories without having to click anything.
It would still feel like roblox and look good, Yet imo be a lot cleaner and easier for the eyes.

2 Likes

Update

• Added Keybinds
    • Delete to Destroy selected Keys
    • X to Cut selected Keys
    • C to Clone selected Keys
    • V to Paste selected Keys
  • Changed the Plugin icon
  • Improved performance while moving Keys
  • Shrunk GUI
    • From 660 Minimum Y size to 602 Minimum Y size
  • Improved visibility of the Clear button

Update

• Fixed Keyframe section being interactable after canceling cutscene
2 Likes

Sorry, maybe this is a dumb question but how do you use the command bar to run the module script? I’m not sure how to, thanks in advance!

You require the script and fire the :Run() function to play it while in-game.

2 Likes

This looks really good! I’m probably still going to use Code Otaku Cutscenes plugin for a lot of stuff since I’ve already gotten used to how it works but I can’t wait to start using this too! I really like the design, I love plugins that just look built-into Roblox lol.

EDIT: @len_ny are there gonna be any future updates? Just noticed it was last updated in September last year. And is it ever going to be open source? I always like to peek at the source code of plugins before buying and installing them (if they’re open source) to see how it’s structured and all that. But even if not, good job making this!

2 Likes

To answer your first question, it will receive updates, and I have plans to update it when I’ve released my current project. It does need some basic bug fixes, which won’t impact your cutscene development, and it could use some feature additions. I feel the visualization of the cutscene is still too simplistic, and ugly. I hope to fix this in the future, but only when I need the plugin. Unfortunately, I don’t currently have any specific ideas for improvement because, as you mentioned, it has been quite some time since I’ve visited this plugin’s source. Expect to see more updates sometime this year, that’s a promise!

To answer your second question, I’m torn because on the one hand, I want this to be a product of my own creation but on the other, it likely wouldn’t hurt sales and would open the door for better plugins to be made from it. I’ll need the rest of the day to think about this, you really struck a chord with me!

2 Likes

Update

• Fixed Linear Cutscenes
  • Fixed Saved Cutscenes erroring on Run
1 Like

I’ll most likely add CameraShake to the plugin but it will require a secondary timeline, and different options (more in like with the CameraShake module itself). I’d plan on making it possible to switch between a Cutscene development mode (the mode that’s already released) and a Shake development mode (the theoretical future mode designed exclusively for CameraShake). Both modes would operate on the same scene, and timeline, but unlike the Cutscene mode the Shake mode would operate like you were emitting Shake at the keyframe.

I just wanted to make it aware that I plan on improving this plugin with time and love the support everyone’s given me!

2 Likes

Update

• Added Springs (Speed, Dampening, Force, Mass properties)
  • Added Stop Feature to Previewing Scenes
  • Added “start” Argument to Cutscene.Play (CFrame & Vector3 Origin Replacement)
  • Renamed Cutscene.Run to Cutscene.Play
  • Reduced UI Minimum Sizing
  • Rewrote Saved Scenes Script
  • Changed Timeline Time Display to Frame Display
  • Forced Keys to End when Moved Past Destination (No Bounce Back)
  • Adjusted Default Property Values
  • Fixed “delay” Argument in Cutscene.Play
  • Fixed Pasting Keys
  • Fixed Scroll Lag
  • Fixed Drop Downs Sizing
1 Like

I didn’t see anything saying how to play the cutscene after it’s created I tried cutsceneModule:Play() after requiring it but it doesn’t seem to work

1 Like