Smooth Terrain Heightmap/Colormap Importer Release!

I mean, the post above him literally says

1 Like

It doesn’t matter, the facts still state:

1 Like

What if… and I’m just saying “what if”. What if the Emote Menu make a triumphant return before the terrain height map importer (intentionally lowercase, bite me)?

Now now, hear me out. Both came across a “issue” that caused it to be disabled. (Aye you, you right there thinking that the issues could be in two different ballparks. Well, we aren’t thinking about that right now :stuck_out_tongue:)

But what if the Emote Menu makes an early comeback before this feature? Maybe I’m wrong in saying this, but in my priority list this feature is definitely up there. So if the Emote Menu come back in the time frame that has been given its okay for me to wonder how that priority list is looking in Roblox right?

At what point do I want to prioritize emotes in my world that doesn’t currently exist due to the height map I can’t import yet. Gonna be hitting those emote buttons on the invisible terrain yeah? Can’t even get an update with a glimmer, shimmer, maybe just a reflection of hope.

I’m losing faith here. Water is literally shooting out of my eyes like lightning bolts, landing just beyond my feet in the form of a height map just to spite me.

3 Likes

I’m sure you know hundreds of engineers work at Roblox and they all work in their own teams on their own features and projects. The people that work on a feature like the Emote Menu are not the same people that work on the smooth terrain height map importing, and work on one does not delay or interfere with work on the other.

I hope you’re not trying to say that engineers can just context switch freely randomly to entirely different features/teams within the company, and that they can just shove tens of engineers onto one feature to improve the speed of development of that feature, and that they have a priority list where every single engineer is meant to contribute to the topmost item on that list only. I’m sure you must have a bit of a better understanding of how software engineering works than what you are trying to convey in this post!

6 Likes

My main goal was to point out the transparency of the team, versus how this team seems to be pretty silent on it. Especially when you think of the importance of the feature. Stepping back from my own personal bias, importance meaning how far you can progress in a game in consideration of the feature.

Nah it wasn’t my intent to blur the lines between teams. More so I just wanted to creatively bump the post and express my concerns on them not being as transparent. Like it’d be nice to know something, seems like the feature has gone dark.

Hi there :slight_smile:

I don’t mean to intervene but you don’t have to go through the full post, there’s a search function.
The keyboard shortcut is: CTRL + F.

I’d agree with @gluGPU that repetitive replies asking why this feature is nowhere to be found could flood this topic with unrelated topics.

Perhaps it’s an idea for the original poster to write or quote the issue in the original post, so that there’s no longer confusion necessary. @GeneralRelish

To bring it back on-topic a bit: is there any news on this feature?
I’d highly appreciate some sort of official response that’d clarify concerns here. :smiley:

4 Likes

You should make a island or even country!

3 Likes

If they have all images filtered before you can import a map then this feature is gonna be pretty useless.

2 Likes

Why is that? I don’t think they’re any more useless than decals or textures.

With decals and textures, you can see them while pending review if you’re the uploader.
Whereas with the heightmap, you’ll need to wait for them to go through the moderation pipeline.

As said in RDC, they’re looking into improving content moderation. So… hopefully it’s not as slow.

Blockquote
With decals and textures, you can see them while pending review if you’re the uploader.
Whereas with the heightmap, you’ll need to wait for them to go through the moderation pipeline.
As said in RDC, they’re looking into improving content moderation. So… hopefully it’s not as slow.

Now that I think about it, couldn’t roblox just allow users to use image IDs to make heightmaps so they could streamline this whole process?

If they use the current system, then I really hope they increase the resolution limit because the heightmap I made for my game is very high resolution because it’s going to be a very big map

1 Like

Thats weird, i cant seem to find it… Any ideas why?

1 Like

“Seek using CTRL + F and thy shall find …”

But I’ll repeat it here:
Unfortunately the importer was temporarily disabled to resolve a bug in the system.

We all hope it’ll be enabled as soon as possible. :smiley:

1 Like

Hi Developers,

Today, we are excited to re-release the Smooth Terrain Heightmap/Colormap Importer! We’ve cleaned up a few bugs and made a significant change to the workflow. To encourage safe and responsible usage, the Importer now requires that the images go through moderation before being used. Once an image has been uploaded and approved by moderation, it can be selected in the Importer.

Selecting an image that has not gone through moderation will display an error and not allow the import process to proceed.

Please note that your Game now must be published in order to use the Importer. Using the Importer in an unpublished Game will display a “Game must be published before importing terrain” error in the Output window. For best results, image resolution should be kept to 1024x1024px or below - images larger than this limit will be automatically scaled down.

One of our most important values at Roblox is to respect the community. This means respecting developers and players alike. This workflow change was critical to ensure we are in line with our own core values. As we look at the future of development on Roblox we know we need to improve your efficiency and this means not blocking your workflow. We are currently investigating ways to enable you as developers to work faster than ever, while still upholding our safety standards.

15 Likes

Thanks for the tip! I’ve updated the original post with relevant feature updates - including today’s re-release.

8 Likes

I was hoping that the eventual solution would restore functionality to this feature, but unfortunately in the name of limited safety the decision was made to make the feature nearly useless. It was an awesome idea while it lasted.

21 Likes

There should be a feature to disable the 16k size/voxel limits.

1 Like

I understand the intent behind this change, but it seems quite unreasonable to require developers to have their maps moderated before being able to import them.

This drastically hurts the efficiency of developers. Developers are now required to wait for their map to be approved before they can import it. In addition, developers looking to experiment with different map changes will now run into a lot of trouble with constantly having to wait on moderation before they can visually see their map changes on a 3d plane.

In the end, moderation for map imports is going to render this feature useless and not stop bad actors. Instead, Roblox should be focusing on hiring more content moderators to handle reports faster rather than adding approval processes to Studio features.

28 Likes

Again, like I stated before, moderating is completely useless as the player can use 2 or more heightmaps to accomplish something innapropriate. This is also time consuming because not only do we have to wait for moderation but also the chance of getting falsely moderated and having to wait all over for the image again.

6 Likes