So how do you ACTUALLY do abilitys for a game?

So I am a beginner scripter, used studio for 4 years maybe dabbled in coding a bit, my expertise is literally just editing pre done scripts by spending 10 hours thinking about what that bit of code does, it has gotten me far yes, but I want my game to be original (everything in it so far except the map is predone)
(with a few edits to make it look mine DONT WORRY THE CREATORS PUT IT ONLINE FOR FREE USE) but I want the fruits (which in my game which is a one piece game is just the basic super powers)
to be MINE so I don’t want people saying Oh just read this, or do this tutorial I don’t want a tutorial I wanna know HOW not follow this I wanna know HOW don’t tell me what to script tell me what im scripting does so can anyone kinda create a 1:1 step course to creating powers, not like a tutorial more like a explanation of the functions used to create it and sorta referring me to what I can go to, to create my goals, so yes I just wanna learn how

(Also you don’t have to do this if you already did the abilities thing but can you also tell me where I go to learn about datastores? learning it is like a nightmare)

EDIT a year later I full know scripting and I am a professional,
looking back on this I cringe every letter, thank you for putting up with me lol

1 Like

I kinda agree with you about the tutorials, I literally hate tutorials, specially the youtuber’s tutorials… I never took any tutorial when learning scripting.

How to do “abilities” for a game? What abilities means for you?
Sounds like you think that there is only 1 way to do it, and certain “functions” you need to know in order to achieve it, and that makes no sense. “abilities” or any other system is done by knowing how to script… knowing what the APIs does, how the engine works, what instances exists in the engine, ther events, functions etc, the basic of scripting: creating functions, handling tables, loops, etc…

If you already spent 4 years reading others code, I dont understand what stop you to create your own scripts if you have the Documentation and the DevForum.
To check your knowledge, just grab a new baseplate, create a script and start building your abilities system, when you get stuck come visit the DevForum and Documentation and check what you need to achieve your goal.

About your question of where to learn how to use Datastores, just visit the documentation and read the topics you find in DevForum about that, I dont quite understand what is stopping you or what you need other than forum and docu

3 Likes

An “ability” is just a thing you add to a player. Walking +2 faster could be an ability. So for that player, the speed is set +2 higher. There is no magic ability you just set. You need to apply something you know how to do as an ability … In this case, walking speed.

Not really a useful reply I wanted you to kinda explain some of the more important parts to making a ability and in ability I mean like a bloxfruits power or smth

I mean like bloxfruits type abilitys like having a particle effect then something flies off or smth where would I even start??

@2112Jay reply is similar to what I said, is perfectly usefull.

Depends on what you want to achieve as a “ability”.
I dont know that game you mentioned. And that doesnt matter. You just decide what you wanna achieve, and look for the Instances, Properties, and stuff you need to achieve for the specifical behaviour you desire for each feature you want for your game.

Theres no such thing as “knowing how to script abilities”. Its about Knowing how to script anything.
Where to start? Create an idea for 1 ability, look for the Instances or properties you need to change in order to achieve it. Later you could focus on how to save that with datastores and tables.
The starting point is, sit and work in studio and create an “ability” you imagined

2 Likes

ok thank you I actually am learning to do it step by step now, but seriously? blox fruits has 439k players in it a day and is the most popular game on roblox its nothing special but it has a good example of scripted ability combat

Cool… But probably Im not interested…
Same as your other posts… you gotta be descriptive and not just expect we know all the games you like, in order to provide you with a “magical function” to create “abilities”

2 Likes

It depends on what kind of an ability you want. For example if you want the player to press a key once before using the ability. Then what you would do is make a local script that detects the input and fire a remote to a server sided script that will launch the ability. After the ability has been launched you can set and start a cooldown for the ability.

The way I would make an ability is check input, check if the player can use the specific ability (if they have a certain mastery, or have enough energy, or is not currently on a cooldown, etc.) then fire a remote to server about the skill (Example Skill1, Skill2, M1). Then I would do the same check on server just incase a exploiter is messing around. Then I would find the ability’s module and send the specific ability (Example IceFruitModule[Skill1], LightFruitModule[M1], DarkStepModule[Skill4]). The module will contain the actual code for the ability (like +25Walk Speed, Code to play a punch animation with high knockback, etc.), the script will yield until the code in the module is done. afterwards I set and run the ability cooldown on server and send a remote to client that will also set and run the ability cooldown. done

2 Likes

I do not agree at all with people who say that the tutorials do not serve, since only nesecitas copy the code and analyze it, what you do not understand questions in the forum or research on google, it should be emphasized that if you want to learn on your own is not easy, you have to leave the laziness and esforzaze, friend you do the right thing make an effort because that is the best way @Dev_Peashie I am 100% that when you did not know anything you watched tutorials youtubers and thanks to them you started never complain about our roots and also, when a new learner does not understand the documentation is something difficult to understand for someone who is just learning, I asked a few months ago: someone explain me how to use the messaging service, I explained that I didn’t understand about the documentation and a guy came with the same words as you and gave me the documentation apparently the guy just wanted to get a solution.
and for the other guy who spoke what the OP asked is that we explain more or less how to achieve this:

-learn about GFX (effects) -learn about SFX (sounds) -learn how to animate -learn how to program -be more accurate -research instead of making a topic -everything is on the internet -and for blox fruit skills you have to pick one and explain it personally I don’t play roblox anymore since a year ago since I only dedicate myself to create games, it’s worth mentioning that this is not my original account -learn about UI design -don’t ask stupid questions

3 Likes

for data store first learn Spanish, it takes about 3 years, after that go to a Hispanic youtuber named Brisinmb and he will teach you about datastore.

1 Like

lol, this comment is funny

chaweasdasdasd

1 Like

I understand how you feel being in tutorial limbo but they help with having a simple frame work of how to do things and they aren’t just meant to copy all the time but to learn from. I was like you and did a lot of searching for how to make skills/ power abilities like freeze moves or fireball but one video helped me a lot from Ninjared xd. He makes his abilities using particles and his hitbox is janky since it doesn’t check if the player touching the hotbox is the local player it came from but it’s good for a start and short. I made a basic bad looking move from this video and it helped me to make moves like water prison just and raiden from mortal combat superman torpedo move.

Here is a link to his video:

Hope it helps!

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.