So I made some icons

I got Adobe Illustrator and started making my own icons instead of taking free ones from Google a few months ago

I still made my own UI in Photoshop previously but making icons isn’t exactly easy with it

I’m not the most artistic person so I sometimes find myself using the style of other icons and editing and adding my own touches

I really could use some input on my Icons and if I’m doing anything wrong, or if there is something I can improve (and if it’s bad I’d like to know, I won’t get offended)

The goal for this set of Icons was to be simple and clean (all of them except the DNA Icon are going to be used in progress bars, like how minecraft does it’s Health and Hunger Bars)

EDIT: added some gloss and redid the thirst icon Edit2: fixed lightning icon

Hunger(Meat), Thirst(Water Droplet), Health(Heart), Oxygen(Oxygen Bubble), Energy(Lightning), Dna1, and Dna2

all of them except the meat I made in my own style, I used some reference images for the meat

• Hey, that’s pretty good
  • It’s ok man
  • Hey, that’s pretty bad
  • Stick to coding buddy

0 voters

Edit:
You could also rate it x/10 if you prefer

3 Likes

I don’t want to sound rude but “free” and “google” don’t really go well together. Well… hopefully they were royalty-free/commercial use licensed images… they were, right? :cold_sweat:

2 Likes

Yes, I see how you could misinterpret what I said, I wasn’t just grabbing random ones and saying it’s “Free” for me because I didn’t pay

I would Google along the lines of "“Free RPG Icon Pack” and made sure I was allowed to use it

this is an example

It really depends on the style of the game. If it’s more cartoon-y, this works great! But if you’re trying to use these icons for something like a medieval simulator, you’d want to go for something with rougher and darker textures IMO. (I know you said the goal was to be simple and clean, but that can mean a lot of different things.)

Also, just a quick note – I’m not sure if the DNA strands would both be used in the game, but if so I’d love to see a more congruent style (same sizing in height at least). But if only one would be used, I like the first one (all orange) more, though I’d make the dashed lines white or at least a darker/lighter orange since all the other designs are at least dual-tone.

Adding on to the paragraph above, maybe the DNA would look cool in a green (more neon-pushed like the rest of your icons) color that balances out the icon set. You have a lot of warm tones and two cooler tones, so a green would be a nice median. I dunno. :man_shrugging:

Finally, the small line on the right-hand side of the lightning bolt could be much more successful if you raised the long line below it up more so that the small line could lie flat (in the same way the small line on the left side does.)

At the end of the day, it’s just about what fits your game. Icons can be super simple and super successful or very complex and equally successful. It’s about refining the shapes and colors that can make or break a set.

3 Likes

I fixed the lightning icon

The DNA was surprisingly hard for me to make that’s probably why it doesn’t look the best

as for the style this is should give you an idea

2 Likes

These are pretty good for simple icons, I think you just need to keep practicing to improve.

1 Like