Social Chat v2 | Roblox's #1 Open-Sourced chatting resource

how do i put any emoji i wish using decal id in emojipedia?
EDIT: just found it out myself

2 Likes

My only problem with thingā€™s like these, is people always try and add Self Promo, and donate meā€™s in there stuff if you donā€™t update it. For instance when I used to use a Model for a Donation Board, they updated and if you didnā€™t update, they would break your donation board. How ever you could still buy THERE Developer product from inside YOUR game. Hence why I donā€™t really trust this stuff in the long run.

2 Likes

While this may be subjective, I personally self-promote because this is a resource that has taken me a significant amount of time and effort to create. You can disable the Control Panel which contains the self-promo features, but this would only prevent me from gaining anything for my hard work.

SocialChat will also not intentionally break whenever there is an update. Sometimes this has happened in the past due to legacy code not working with the newest code, but this is unavoidable in some cases.

In the end, it is up to you if you choose to use the resource. I appreciate your feedback nonetheless! :happy3:

4 Likes

Thatā€™s understandable about hard work. I more care about the people putting developer products inside your game when you DONā€™T update. Along with you donā€™t have an option to disable them.

2 Likes

I completely understand! I had this in mind as I donā€™t want to restrict anyone from using the resource, hence why I added an option to disable this feature.

SocialChat v2 only serves these products (gamepasses) if the user chooses to look at them. The UI has specifically been designed to maintain a non-disruptive display. However, these products are a huge part of helping maintain the resourceā€™s development as I personally have spent hundreds on maintaining a brand for it and funding future features.

Regardless of what prevents someone from using SocialChat, there will usually be a configuration to disable/enable certain features. :wink:

2 Likes

Question, I tried disabling bubble chat. So now that it says ā€œfalseā€ it still shows up when testing. Why is that?

2 Likes

Nice resource!

But I am having a lot of issues using this and syncing through Rojo, I have tried to install the released zip from the Github page, but unfortunately I keep getting missing itemā€™s errors.

I think the issue is since you are using git to publish, the empty folders arenā€™t published by default, you have to add a .gitkeep file in the empty folders to publish them as well.

This can be seen for example in the SocialChatv2/Extensions folder where the ā€œServerā€ and ā€œSharedā€ folders arenā€™t published. So upon running the game, you would get the error ā€œattempt to index nil with SocialChatv2/Extensions/Server.ā€

Am I doing something wrong, or is there a better way to install and sync this through Rojo?

3 Likes

I apologize for the inconvenience! :sad: I wasnā€™t sure if leaving the folders empty would affect release, but Iā€™ll make a fix push ASAP.

Thanks for your feedback!

2 Likes

Thanks for the fast response,

Unfortunately, I have some more bad newsā€¦

So after re-downloading the release build, syncing using Rojo, I stumbled upon A-LOT of missing items and eventually an error which I couldnā€™t fix myself, as the error seems a bit deeply integrated into the way SocialChat works, which is something a bit out of my scope.

The way I reached this point is by getting the toolbox version of SocialChat alongside the released version on GitHub. Then continuously running the game, get the missing item error, copy the the missing item from the toolbox version into the GitHub version and finally run through those steps again.

Eventually I got it to a working point, but it would only work in local studio tests, but if you were to run it in a local server, then you would get a ā€œHTTP 400 (Bad Request)ā€ error. Which I thought would take me a bit too long to fix as I havenā€™t really read the source code up to this point.

This is the state that the place file attached is in, along with all the changes that will be mentioned in the attached error logs.

I logged every thing I have done to reach this point, along with the error that called for these changes to be made.

Finally, if you want to replicate these steps, you can get the latest SocialChat release zip from GitHub, un-zip it, open the environment in your IDE (Based on the git repo, I believe your IDE is VSC, which is also what I used.) Then finally setup Rojo by serving and connecting in a new empty baseplate in studio.

I would really love to use this module for a game I am working on currently, but unfortunately I cant really get it to fully work using Rojo. At-least not without requiring the ā€œMainModuleā€ through itā€™s id (Like it is done in the toobox model version,) instead of requiring it from a local copy of the ā€œMainModuleā€. Which is something I would like to avoid.

Error Log / Final Place File:

SocialChatV2ErrorPlace.rbxl (278.1 KB)

3 Likes

I apologize for my delayed response. I have been adressing the issue with the SocialChat repository, but It is more certain that it may never be properly viable to download the resource with an external IDE.

It is more ideal to use the resource as a model rather than as a cloned repository. If you have a use case or any other reasoning for using an external IDE with SocialChat, I would happily investigate any options left for assessing the inquiry.

Thanks for your feedback! :smile:

1 Like

Important Announcement

Hello again everyone! Itā€™s been a while :sweat_smile:

I have come to a conclusions towards how I feel with SocialChat-v2 in its current state, and what I plan to change in the following releases. Below I have linked a Trello Page which encompasses everything I would like to do in the following months with this resource.

https://trello.com/b/AKSZTwX3/socialchat-make-it-yours-rebrand

With that being said, I ask that you all give me time to work on the resource once more. I apologize for continously making these changes, but my vision for this resource was simply not met with itā€™s current state, hence why I want to continue improving the resource for the greater good of my community, and others with similar ambitions.

Thank you all for your support! :tada:

2 Likes

Release v2.0.1 Notes

• Added compatibility with new Roblox badges (Admin, Verified, and SocialChat Developers)
  • Fixed UI Sizing issues for Mobile clients. PC Devices now have more responsive UIā€™s
  • Emojipedia updated to support Whitelisting via groups, usernames/ids, and gamepasses
  • Modern approach applied to UI Sizing for devices

Happy developing! :tada: :happy3:

2 Likes

cool update for SocialŠ‹at anyways soooo i will try it out when I update a bad game

pronounce (Š‹) like ā€œCHā€ like in ā€œChewā€

1 Like

Looks nice! 1!1 I will use later. Anyways its good and better than default roblox chat, its amazing!

1 Like

This is the best custom chat out there!

1 Like

:boom: MODERN ROBLOX UI UPDATE :boom:

In preperation for the new Roblox menu UI TopbarPlus has been updated and can now be configured to adjust to the NEW Menu UI through the ModernTopbarPlusEnabled setting found in SocialChat > Configurations > Client > Channels at the bottom of your script!

This setting is pre-configured to be true in Studio and false in normal servers (until the update is finalized).

Happy programming :happy3:

4 Likes

this looks so awesome and cool and stuff

1 Like

Hey just letting you know, im currently using v2.0.1 off of your github and the dataservice seems to error everytime I shutdown my test session. For now I have made the API enabled function return false since I donā€™t really care about data but just an FYI

DataStoreService: CantStoreValue: Cannot store Dictionary in data store. Data stores can only accept valid UTF-8 characters. API: UpdateAsync, Data Store: SocialChatData 

Also it seems as if I set an Emoji category to be locked it also prevents people who donā€™t have access to it from seeing other people using it which is quite weird, is there anyway to change this?

1 Like

how do you implement equippable chat tags with this? i know its possible because i saw a certain game do it but im confused on how to do so

1. Why is it so far from the ROBLOX icon on the left? image

2. Why does the chatbox look so outdated?

Unfortunatly, I wont be using this. But the above is good constructive criticism.

2 Likes