[Solved] After Studio Update, internal plugin (MaterialPicker.rbxm) now fails to load due to a security error and a bad file format

Problem

As the title states, after the latest Studio update (10 Jan 2024 @ 11:17AM PST), there is an error in the output window when loading a place file. The error spells out the issue with MaterialPicker.rbxm having a bad file format and that the security settings block it from being loaded. It doesn’t matter if the place is opened from the cloud or the local drive. It even does it when creating a new place (baseplate template). It is interesting to note that you can still open the material manager, but none of the functions of the material manager appear to function.

Additional Information

Parameter Value
Problem Area Studio
Problem Component Plugins (Material Picker)
First Noticed Today (10 Jan 2024 @ 11:15AM PST)
Frequency Constant
Impact Major

All plugins have been disabled and the error still occurs. It was working fine until the update, then it broke.

Expectations

What I expect to happen is that no errors are printed in the output display when a place is loaded (from cloud or file on computer) or when creating a new place from a template.

Visuals

Reproduction

To reproduce the issue, use the following steps.

1. Open Studio
  2. Open the baseplate template.
  3. Observe the error in the output window.
  4. Create a new part in the 3D view.
  5. Select new part.
  6. Open material manager.
  7. Attempt to change the material of the selected part.
3 Likes

This is likely from a corrupted install/update. Please try uninstalling and re-installing Studio. Let us know if you still have this issue!

2 Likes

I recommend zipping your Roblox installation folder just in case to help with troubleshooting

Are there any options in RobloxStudioInstaller.exe that will force a verification of installed files? If not, that might be something to add.

I just ran the RobloxStudioInstaller.exe program and it seems to have fixed the issue. Thanks for the tip. Not sure why I didn’t think of doing that.

All built in plugins are signed, and if the signature is invalid or the plugin is unsigned Studio will refuse to load the plugin, and returns a “This plugin could not be verified” sort of error. I think what you mean is if the files aren’t present, it should throw a error or open a dialogue about Studio being corrupted.

If you look at the image in my OP, part of the error is bad file format, which points to some sort of corruption. For what it’s worth, I did 7zip the directory and ran the installer again, which seems to have corrected the issue. The reason why I filed the bug report in the first place was I believed that this was a wide spread problem, and it was right after the update this started happening.

1 Like

It’s not something you should think of! But we’ve seen occasional corruptions like this over the past couple of months and we are planning to make a multiple improvements to the installer/update UX this year.

1 Like

In addition to writing software, I have also done some IT work. I have found that all the main line installers that run under Windows have command line switches for various things, including a silent install. Some, depending on the vendor, also have a repair option. That’s why I asked. It would be something that could easily be added, or done automatically. As mentioned above, I reran the installer and it fixed the problem.

Anyways, thanks for the reply.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.