[SOLVED] Is it possible to add clothing folds to an R15 avatar?

Hey, this may be a hard question for most people but…here goes. ( Using Blender 2.79 btw. )

I’m currently trying to practice adding clothing folds to my renders to give them a realistic look, i’m using R15 right now like always.

Right now i’m using the Tips and Tricks thread RipperGFX made for everyone to practice with, but it’s not going well…

Here’s the part i’m on.

And here’s what the clothing i’m trying to edit looks like right now…

Since i never use Blender for things like this and the fact that an Rthro avatar is worked on in the tutorial instead of R15…it’s super difficult for me.

I’m starting to feel tired and frustrated with this which is why i’m posting here.

If nobody knows anything about how to do this task in Blender, i will add in that i also use GIMP and Autodesk Sketchbook.

And I’ve heard of something called a bump map in drawing programs that also makes clothing realistic looking, but i’ve never used one before and dont know what it’ll do on my end.

Literality any possible solution is helpful right now.

4 Likes

Recently roblox added mesh deformation. I do not know how to use it, because I’ve never tested it out, but you can probably learn it after looking around on the forums. Or, you can shade it in GIMP, PhotoShop, or Paintdotnet.

1 Like

ROBLOX didn’t officially add it, they’ve released an beta build of it on GitHub, what he can do though is using an r6 character and selecting vertices in edit mode, rotating and moving them. That’s how I do it.

2 Likes

It should work with R15 avatars, but I suggest you to try blender 2.8.

remove doubles to fix that

2 Likes

Blender is currently developing a cloth brush that can make these clothing folds a lot easier to make, however don’t expect it too soon, I read that it may be released after 1-2 updates.

Edit:
After more research, someone actually made a public build for the cloth brush. It can be taken from the description in this video

1 Like

Sadly, i cant use Blender 2.8+ due to it not supporting older computers. ( I use OpenGL 3.1 while 2.8 uses OpenGL 3.3+ )

It’s something i’d like to have, but i just cant right now.

1 Like

Well, the problem is this…

1. I use the animation editor to pose avatars, and it doesnt work with R6.

2. I find it better to use more than just R6 since it’s used 95% of the time in GFX renders.

3. The selecting vertices thing doesnt really help since that part is usually used when posing an avatar, the R15 model is posed. The only problem is that the clothing folds dont work for some reason. ( Which is probably because i’m a newbie at this tbh. )

The mesh deformation could be helpful, but sadly it’s not out yet.

1 Like

UPDATE:

Turns out it was the strength making the clothing folds act up. It was set to 1.000 when it should’ve been -0.005.

BUT…the problem’s not over yet.

When the tutorial told me to make 2 copies of the avatar i’m posing, i put each copy on a separate layer.

Layer one has the avatar without the modified clothing.

Layer two has the clothing which should have the clothing folds now.

Right now, i need to know how to combine the 2 layers together so i can see if it works or not.

( Seriously though, if it works. It could be a game-changer for R15 GFX since nobody’s tried this on an R15 avatar before. )

1 Like

“Game changer”, “nobody’s tried this on an R15 avatar before” - I have done that many times with an R15 avatar…

1 Like

Well, i’m only talking about GFX that strictly involves R15 only.

I’ve seen a lot of portfolios and there’s very little R15 content tbh, it just doesn’t get much attention in the GFX community since a lot of people find it harder to work on compared to R6 or 3.0 packages.

And i say game changer because this thread might help future GFX artists who may also try experimenting with R15 like i am.

Finding a solution to my problem wont be “a complete game changer to all of GFX” but it may motivate people to try new things with their renders.

Anyone should know that working with character packages aside from R6 or 3.0 isnt as impossible as it looks, even if there’s no YouTube tutorials or many sources to learn from.

Sorry if it sounded like i was bragging, people just dont talk about things like this much.

Also, thanks for the anchor plugin. The reason that avatar is posed in these screenshots is because of it.

I’ll possibly make a tutorial for Community Resources involving this stuff once i find a solution to this problem and practice more.

3 Likes

Alright, after redoing the entire thing and watching a bunch of tutorials. I’ve finally finished my test image and came up with this.

It’s pretty amazing considering that it’s only been 2 days honestly.

Thanks to everyone who tried helping, there were 1-2 things on this thread that really helped.

I’ll mark Juste’s answer as the solution since it was technically the correct answer. ( Plus his plugin basically made this image possible. )

( And yeah, the clothing folds are barley visble for some reason but it doesnt matter to me anymore honestly. )

Again, thanks for the support!

3 Likes