[Solved] Strange Visual effect/bug with forcefield material

I’m having a weird visual effect when utilizing the forcefield material over my player character making it look shaded and strange. Its as if the forcefield was casting a shadow on it, despite having cast shadow turned off.

Whats even stranger, is the fact that this is only the case when the graphics level is 8 or higher, otherwise the effect works perfectly and as expected.

I wasnt sure where I should post this topic, as Im unaware if its a bug or not, or if it truly belongs to this category or #help-and-feedback:building-support .

I’m thinking of scrapping this idea if I don’t find a fix for this.

This isn’t a solution just a general observation that some materials change their appearance and even some properties at high graphics levels, such as Glass. Maybe its the same for this, who knows.

Edit: Have you tried different colors, or changing some of the physical properties of the material? or even the transparency and reflectance?

Double Edit: Maybe the forcefield material utilizes the underlying material or color, so try it on a different avatar maybe?

1 Like

I’ve tried different colors, but its the same effect. Same with the phyisical properties of the material, no difference. Changing the transparency has helped soothe the intensity of the “shadow” which is great.
(torso with 0.3 transparency vs other body parts unchanged)
I still think the effect looks worse than on lower graphics, considering you can visibly see a pattern of sloped paralel lines over the material. Which i find really really odd.

(same changes with graphics on 7 for comparison)

1 Like

One last resort before you eventually decide whether to scrap this is to play with the lighting of the workspace… i did this in my game to get my golden boats to truly look like gold material, so i know it has a huge impact on the way material refracts light and looks… but i know this will be a last resort.

This is its intended behavior, I’d take a look at its documentation as this one material has a lot under the hood than our more basic materials.

2 Likes

so interesting, great link, esp the part about the vertex painting… worth a look by the OP for sure.

Edit: is that Blender in the image being used to change the color, in a Roblox doc!!

1 Like

Ohhhh… yeah its totally got to do with the vertex coloring, I’m using a custom mesh for the forcefield parts, I did not know that influenced the forcefield material at all.

But definetly thank you for you help aswell @RMofSBI.

1 Like