Some Soft-Body Action

I’ve been experimenting with some custom Roblox soft-body physics and I’d like to share my results with you guys!

I wouldn’t say this is the best method, but this is the one I used to get my outcome.

Before we continue, I just want to emphasize this is not a tutorial!

Method
The way I went about creating the soft bodies is by creating 8 different vertices in the shape of a square and connecting each vertex with a spring, by doing this I got a rigid structure for me to use.

Voxels

SpringsAndVoxels.PNG

I then went about connecting all the corners with triangles to create the actual cube. I used a script that used RunService to render the triangles.

And tada! You got yourself a simple soft body!

Here it is in action:

I also added some reflections just to make it a little bit more satisfying! :D! I really hope you enjoyed it and found it cool.

Please leave any suggestions, opinions or ideas about what you think about this.

29 Likes

Wow! This is what people mean when they say taking Roblox to another level. You could make some cool stuff with this, like a bit of a fun showcase. I don’t know what game you’d use it in, but I’m sure it’d make a fun addition. Nice job!

I feel as though you could loosen the spring density to make it more jiggly, as it feels a bit tense, but it seems really really good at the moment.

I had to keep the springs tensioned so the shape wouldn’t collapse. But I’ll definitely attempt to loosen the springs as much as possible! Also, thank you for the feedback and the compliments :smiley:

Try using some ropes in it. Not sure if it’d work, but might as well try. :slight_smile:

Nice jellies, you make very good jellies. Make more jellies like this.

2 Likes

I did attempt this, but ropes, unfortunately, can not hold up the weight. However, I did attempt to use them with cloth simulations. More Cloth Physics - YouTube

2 Likes

Can you give us the file!

This looks GREAT!!!

I want to try it for myself, but I don’t know how to render the triangles. :frowning:

Keep up the great work! :slight_smile:

Wow, awesome idea! I really like the physics of it really well. I might consider taking the idea in case I’ll need it in the future.

beamng states that their softbodies would collapse if there are no diagonal spring to each box, maybe that helps

Open source this please.
Would be very very helpful.

Looks really cool!

I think with skinned meshing and bones you could possibly make a more optimized version of it as well and do it with more complex shapes.

1 Like

Hey did you make this? Sorry for bumping but just wondering if you ever sat down and made it.

Haven’t tried it in Roblox yet but I know for a fact it’s how many games fake soft-body physics.

Real soft bodies are very slow and CPU intensive to simulate so a lot of games typically just use a simple 3D model with several bones to stretch/deform parts of the model and attach physics to it.

It’s essentially just a ragdoll but with loose and elastic joints.

2 Likes

Very cool very cool. I wanna see it tbh.

Would make for a very nice gore game.

1 Like

I created a newer and better way to create soft bodies. I would love your feedback!

https://devforum.roblox.com/t/better-soft-body-physics/2469199

how did you render the triangles?

EgoMoose’s code that generates a triangle from three given points

1 Like

you gotta use a script that renders a triangle for every 3 points, I’ve used egomoose’s but I don’t think its available anymore.

sorry to be a burden but can you please make a file for this? i think I’ve got it but I need to see what I got wrong.