Something is possibly wrong with GPUs (Nvidia/AMD) with the Refresh Update

There is something really wrong inside Studio that came with the Refresh Updates. I’ve noticed a pattern, People who have GPUs are experiencing random bugs after the Refresh Update. You have to understand how much of a Day/Night difference the update made to my experience as well as other developers. It’s to the point we can’t even use Studio anymore. This happened immediately after I updated to the Refresh Update.

I’ve done things I didn’t think were required because of how exclusive the issue is only to Roblox Studio and no other program.

I have uninstalled:

• graphic drivers (used NVinstall to get the latest as well as roll back to an older version).
  • Roblox studio (and purged all files associated with Roblox).
  • Windows 10 and even upgraded to windows 11.

All of these things changed nothing. Roblox Studio still freezes and does not show D3D11 when I toggle MSI Afterburner. My device specs below:
|—|—|
|Processor|AMD Ryzen 5 4600H with Radeon Graphics 12 cores @ 3.00 GHz|
|Installed RAM|8.00 GB (7.36 GB usable)|
|System type|64-bit operating system, x64-based processor|
|Nvidia GTX 1650 4GB|
DX12

After constant crashing in Studio, I booted up Elden Ring with no trouble using D3D11. I also re-upgraded back to the latest game-ready driver by Nvidia.

Here is the kicker - I tested Roblox Studio on another laptop and my project did not freeze when reproducing the same steps. The specs on that laptop are lower than my gaming laptop. Check below:
|—|—|
|Processor|11th Gen Intel(R) Core™ i3-1125G4 6 cores @ 2.00 GHz|
|Installed RAM|8.00 GB (7.36 GB usable)|
|System type|64-bit operating system, x64-based processor|
|Integrated Intel UHD Graphics|
DX12

This leads me back to the GPU. How can the same project, when reproducing the same steps, NOT freeze on a laptop that isn’t designed for gaming or have a dedicated GPU? How can one update make a decent device completely useless to it exclusively?

Other people experiencing issues similar:

Cole1CoaIGame Designer

10h

I’m currently experiencing this bug. All my drivers are up to date, I’ve tried uninstalling and reinstalling and nothing worked. I tried opening several games at once in the studio and inserting an external RBXL file and it crashed only the studio in which I inserted the model. I have a 2070TI Graphics card and an i7-900k intel processing chip.

One of my incident IDs is: 5501848708009329035

I hope this information helps and this issue gets solved soon!

AtomicAtomic_DevGame Designer

2d

I can confirm this as well. Studio stopped working after the update, can’t even open it. Uninstalling & reinstalling fixes it briefly, but tweaking graphics settings doesn’t seem to do anything.

It is helpful to have a secondary laptop or PC that uses a different setup for when things like this happen to narrow down the possible cause or issue. And it seems out of all the people having issues some are having the same while most have different symptoms. Thoughts?

1 Like

Seems to happen on my friend’s PC but never happens to mine. The refresh isn’t well designed, and I can only imagine how much bloat there is in the Studio CoreGui.

Though, the way NVidia graphics drivers work is that they will contain updates to patch certain games since the games aren’t well designed for the graphics card. It is possible that this patch NVidia made is being triggered by Roblox Studio, even when the patch isn’t the correct one. Try using an ancient version of the driver.

It might also be because your viewport isn’t correctly set. Try disabling the graphics in Studio Settings > Rendering > Graphics Mode = “No Graphics”. It should improve the editing experience performance wise.

You could try lowering the refresh rate under 120 Hz, but this most likely won’t make a difference.

I’ve already exhausted all possible options on my end. This was one of them. Nothing helped. I never changed my drivers since purchasing Elden Ring, so for one Studio update to cause this issue pinpoints it back to Studio because I was in the middle of working on my game when I decided to update. After updating it’s been goodbye Studio going on 2-3 weeks now.

Does undocking your viewport tab windows have any affect?

You’ve upgraded your windows. Tried reinstalling windows? Also tried to install roblox studio on a different disk (if you have multiple)?

I started out with windows 10 now I have 11. I’ve done everything possible. It just freezes on this system after the refresh update. A cheaper laptop doesn’t have this issue. But I can’t really use that to dev.

Alright, so from what I can see you’ve got 2 graphic cards basically (you’ve got an AMD processor with an inbuild Radeon graphicscard, and a Nvidia Graphicscard.) Is it possible that when you used the refresh update on the studio, that the studio chose your inbuild Radeon GPU? (since you’ve got Nvidia drivers, it can’t really run. Thre used to be a lot of issues between Radeon and Nvidea GPU’s and Drivers). Maybe if you’re able to change the GPU setting from the studio, maybe that’d fix?

You can’t choose but you can choose what graphics card to run by right clicking on the icon then “Run with graphics card >” and it should have “HIGH performance NVidia graphics” and choose that.