Song thats supposed to feel like a dust storm on Mars

This is for an open world adventure game taking place on Mars where the players will occasionally face natural threats such as dust storms. Instead of adding wind sound effects, I wanted to take a musical approach and see if it would give more emotional impact. Im here to know wether that was a good idea or if I should just give it some natural sound effects/ improve the song.

Thanks for your time responding to this

2 Likes

It gets really high pitched in some places and I really don’t like that.

It reminds me of Dune.

3 Likes

depending on what environment the player’s in, I think this is a really good track to show how hostile the world the player is in is.

2 Likes

The storm will have the same duration as the song, it will slowly ease in as the song reaches its climax. The environment is Mars and I want it to have a very unpredictable weather pattern in the game where the player needs to be prepared for it at all times.

2 Likes

This song sounds good. It gets very loud at some points, and at other points it’s way too quiet.

2 Likes

I added that to create an element of chaos in the storm. Do you think it fits that or is it just overkill and annoying? Heres a version where It doesn’t have that to the same degree, but its still fairly present.

its very distorted, sounds deep fried.

3 Likes

Yeah you’re right on that, ill probably just make regular storm sound effects then (garage band is pretty hard to manipulate)

Heres how it would sound without that deep fried element

With the dust storm idea in mind, the force of the sound is nice, but it seems the harshness that appear at after 1 minute is what breaks the sound. It sounds different in a bad way, most likely like compression artefacts and the distortion balance is not super considered. Because of the “deepfried” details, it sound more like a hot air storm than an actually sandy one.

The second version is more forgiving, but instead, it has a glassier effect due to the sines. I am also considering that the distortion is too focused on the low-end than the upper ends.

Removing the distorted element, we will see the rather tranquil sounds of glass and string textures that is often used for calm environments. To make it actually stormy and actually being inside the storm, you need to quell the tonality so that only textures remain and barely any tonal details can prevail. Maybe you actually need more windy sounds.

On the other hand, GarageBand can be quite limiting artistically. Your creativity in using the tools is what should cut it…

4 Likes