Sort friend requests, friends, and friends on the profile chronologically by acceptance date

Recently, friends and friend requests were re-sorted to be alphabetical on the friend list pages and the profile page.

This happened a month or two ago, but I noticed it immediately because I very frequently use these pages to view most recent activity in my friend requests, and on both my profile and other users’ profiles.

Sort friend requests chronologically

I can’t think of any use-case for having them sorted alphabetically.

• If I know the user’s name I’m looking for, I can just visit their profile to accept their friend request. Alphabetically sorting this list does not make this process any faster.

• If routinely check my friend requests to see if anyone I know has sent me a friend request recently, I can no longer do that if I have several pages of friend requests (which is very common).

• If someone has sent me a friend request in-game but I didn’t accept the notification in-game, unless I remember their username, I can no longer easily find them in my friend requests if I have many.

Sort friends chronologically on the profile and home page

Currently, they’re sorted alphabetically, listed after in-game / in-Studio friends.

Sorting chronologically on these pages makes more sense than alphabetical because the number of friends displayed is very small. It’s not relevant to show the first few friends with usernames that start with A, it’s much more useful and relevant to show recently added friends.

• I can no longer quickly access the profile of people I’ve recently added (to check on their work, to message them, to access their social links, etc…).

• I can no longer see if any of my friends have recently met / friended someone new.

• Sometimes I use the approximate date a user friended someone to help draw connections between users for moderation purposes.

Provide sort options on the friends list page

The reason users visit this page varies too much to force alphabetical or chronological sorts. Please offer an option to sort the list variably.

• If I’m looking for someone with numbers in their name that I don’t remember, alphabetical sort is helpful.

• If I’m looking for a recently added friend, I don’t want to have to manually click through 12 pages if their username starts with a Z.

• I don’t usually want to visit the profile of my oldest friends, so having them at the bottom of the friends list is preferred.

19 Likes

Hello and thanks for the report! We just turned on a fix for this. Friends list should still be sorted, but the rest of the tabs (followers, followings, and requests) should be sorted by most recent. Please let us know if you find any additional issues.

2 Likes

Thanks! However, it looks like Followers and Following are sorted oldest first, which I can’t imagine is intentional (see: Builderman in my list and a bunch of other old users).

Further, unfortunately this doesn’t address the last two categories of issues brought up.
It’s not very relevant to display friends alphabetically on the profile page since there are so few listed. I very frequently visit my own profile to find the profiles of recently added friends, and I like to see who my friends have recently added.

Is it possible to have two different sorts for the friends list? Chronological on the profile page and home page to support the above given use-cases, and alphabetical everywhere else?

Ah, you’re correct. We will update the Followers and Following tabs to sort by newest first. The expected behavior of the Friends tab is to be sorted alphabetically, with the intention being that this way, users can find their friends more easily. I’ll make sure this feedback is heard, and I’ll update this thread when the followers/following tabs are updated to sort by newest first.

2 Likes

Sounds good, thanks!

Just to make sure I’m being clear, sorting chronologically on the home and profile pages makes more sense than alphabetical because the number of friends displayed is very small. It’s not relevant to show the top 5 friends with usernames that start with A, it’s much more useful and relevant to show recently added friends.

The friends tab being sorted alphabetically however is decently useful, albeit there is a use case for it being sorted chronologically, so it would be nice to let the user choose what kind of sort they want.

Cheers!

1 Like

Should be sorted by newest first now on those two tabs. Let us know if you have any problems!

5 Likes