Sound Roll-Off Visualiser

(the min/max buttons in the video didn’t make it to the final version)

Here’s a little plugin I made to show the rolloff of every sound instance in your game. This has been made twice or so but they don’t work, so I’ve taken the liberty to make it as simple as possible.
Do let me know what you think and reply with any bugs you encounter.

How Sound Rolloff Works

Minimum sound rolloff distance is the distance at which the sound starts to fade out.
Maximum sound rolloff distance is the distance at which the sound becomes extremely quiet due to the volume gradient.

If you leave the maximum sound rolloff distance, you will no longer be able to hear the audio.

If the min/max values are the same, the sound will be the same volume everywhere within the given value (in studs).

Here’s a little graph I put together to demonstrate it visually:

• MinRollOffDistance > 2500
  • MaxRollOffDistance > 10000

(sorry it’s a bit wonky lol)

Update 09, July, 22
  • Inserted folder now spawns in hidden parent so it does not disturb your Workspace.
  • Spheres are now hollow to allow visibility when inside a sphere.
Upcoming Features
  • A colour pallette to choose min/max rolloff sphere colour.
  • If one or more parts are selected, it will only display the selected part’s sound rolloffs.
26 Likes

Cool, now draw it for selected parts only :sunglasses:

and draw it with different colours to pick from. I don’t really like the yellow personally.

5 Likes

Hello!
I just installed the plugin to find out why my Sounds were having a RollOffMaxDistance issue, but I started noticing a bug immediately after.

I was getting the distance of audio that was parented to a Part, but afterward, an error appeared in the Console with the message, Position is not a valid member of Folder "[Instance's Full Name]". Plus, the source of the error was not the Sound that I selected in the Explorer… Then, the roll-off preview was positioned at the center of the Workspace (0, 0, 0).

I liked the idea by @TestyLike3 to

It would be great if you could add a settings bar to change the colors and features of the visualizer.

Thank you for making this plugin! The idea is great, and it will be a huge time saver because I usually have to use Parts and resize them myself to visualize the RollOffDistances of Sounds. Unfortunately, so far the plugin only gave the same errors. I hope that this bug can be fixed!

1 Like

That’s quite odd and I’ll definitely look into it. After all, this is my first plugin so I’m pretty inexperienced in this sector. I do apologise about your inconvenience and I’ll try my best to fix it.

I will certainly have a customisable colour palette for the sphere colours in the near future.

1 Like

Dont mean to be that person but someone already made this few months ago

1 Like

Not everything has to be original. If you look in the video, you can see on the very top left, I actually do have that plugin. However I noticed flaws and inaccuracy so I decided to make it myself. Also I have been interested in making a plugin for some time, so this is more of a passion project than a helpful tool for developers.

3 Likes

I dont know why but to me the point where the sound stops playing is at 2x the MaxRollOut.

I set an audio with Min 20 and Max 200. The sound cuts abruptly at 400 studs away. Using Inverse mode. Shouldn’t the sound smoothly get silent?

Wow, almost 800 downloads. I never would have thought a plugin I made (my first public one too!) would be this popular.

I will resume development to make this plugin the best for all of you. Drop some suggestions and I’ll try to do every single one!

Make it so you can grow and shrink the spheres which will then adjust the roll off distance, min/max.

I think this would be really useful for visual editing.

1 Like