Sound script changes

I’ve discovered an issue.

In the game Databrawl, characters are pre-made and loaded in manually via scripts, and are provided pre-written scripts from ServerStorage. Today, however, I noticed something odd. Normally these characters are given no sound script, so they should be silent.

A discovery has been made which shows that default sounds are automatically being created in the character once the Player is able to control them, and they function as they would with normal characters. Not only that, but it appears they are being created locally.

I attempted to find any sort of local script which creates these sounds, but to no avail. The issue was able to be fixed by placing a blank sound script in StarterCharacterScripts, but regardless, this can be a problem for some developers.

2 Likes

I can see the water bug is fixed where when the user jumps out of water too quickly it would throw an error about the state being changed and spam the console. It surprised me that this stayed in-game for so long without being noticed. Thanks for fixing this. :smiley:

Why all the sounds are no longer replicating to the server? How can I bring back the old “Sound” script?

1 Like

Is there a particular issue with sounds being handled by clients independently? This new system is far more superior and (in theory) most games should be fine.

3 Likes

nevermind, I thought players will no longer hear each other, my bad

Probably why you should read the thread and test first before responding.

Your concern has already been addressed in the OP. The only change is that the client is responsible for sound creation and playback for other characters on their end based on Humanoid states.

With up to zero network overhead or server involvement, from a player standpoint this change is (almost) completely invisible (which is an effective upgrade).

5 Likes

Is there any tutorial on the new system? I need it because I don’t know how to play sounds using the old system.

1 Like

I don’t seem to be able to hear MYSELF. This includes footsteps, my gunshots in shooter games such as Phantom Forces and POLYGUNS, and anything else of the sort.

1 Like

Then that might be unrelated to this change, because gunshots are not part of the default sound script. Can you reproduce this on a baseplate in Studio?

1 Like

Yes, I can. I made sure my volume was all the way up, made a new baseplate, and just walked. There aren’t any falling, jumping, splashing, etc. sounds to be heard anywhere either. My point mentioning those gunshots was that it may be a problem for the local player. This happens in both studio and a published place.

1 Like

Can you hear any sound on ROBLOX? It might be because you have it muted on you sound device settings. Could right click the sound icon, open volume controller, and turn ROBLOX up to the highest point it can be with the system.

Though, what device are you experiencing this on…?

That isn’t the problem. I can hear other sounds such as music, etc. in game, but sounds that are created by me I can’t seem to make out.

1 Like

I can confirm I (as of yesterday) am getting the same exact issue. I’ll elaborate more.

It seems that audio played in the Workspace (avatar oofs, car engine sounds, sounds parented to parts, etc) is insanely quiet, whereas non-3d sounds (sounds not played under workspace - music, UI sound effects, etc) are played at a regular volume. This occurs in literally any game I join.

I noticed the issue when I was playing a flight simulator that I play often - the jet’s turbine engines sounded painfully quiet, even though I was at max volume. UI sounds and the bg music were perfectly fine. I checked the game’s “last updated” information and it had not been updated, leading me to think it was a Roblox-related issue.
So, I joined a few other games and noticed the same issue. I played Miners haven, same deal - my avatar sounds were insanely muted, and other workspace-parented sounds were quite hard to hear.
I even tested it on my own game - I have a test round where random bigheads/biggerheads spawn on a baseplate, and stepping on them makes a variable pitched OOF sound. They are much quieter than they were 2 days ago.

EDIT : After some more experimenting, it seems to only affect certain sounds and some people. I’m not exactly sure why this is.

EDIT 2 : Managed to get a semi-repro of the issue with avatar sounds, notice how the sounds get loud when completely zoomed in with the camera facing upwards, but the sounds are quieter otherwise regardless of distance of camera from the avatar.

1 Like

You should file this as a separate bug report under Engine Bugs with a clear repro file, then engineering can take a look at it.

Yeah I plan to, I’m just having trouble making a 100% reproducible clear repro for it. The behavior seems to be a bit random.

1 Like

To be clear, this change only impacts sounds generated by your character.

If there’s an issue with sounds not generated by your character, that’s probably unrelated and we will take a look separately.

1 Like

Are there any plans to address the issues with avatar sound volume, as demonstrated in my repro video?

Hi, when did this issue start happening for you? What is the latest Windows update you have installed?

This started happening ~2 days ago, when I started noticing various game sounds were quieter than usual.

Windows 10, Version 1903; Build 19013.1122. This could be related, I haven’t tested/tried reproducing this issue yet on any of my other devices. I can test it on my desktop as well if you would like, to eliminate the possibility of a recent windows update breaking the functionality.

Yes, if you could please try on a different Windows update version that would be very helpful. KB4515384 had a bug that was fixed in KB4517211 that had symptoms a little similar to your description. I’d like to make sure they haven’t done it again :). Is 19013.1122 an insider’s preview?

1 Like