Sound.TimePosition is not working

Battle for ROBLOX uses a locally-controlled sound system. I’m playing sounds on clients so setting .TimePosition should work fine to skip over silence at the beginning of sound effects. A patch rolled around recently and .TimePosition stopped working.

@lando64000 and @tbradm had this issue with Brick Bronze recently, but they fixed it (I don’t know how). The issue was present just yesterday.

Odd, still happening to me in my local tests.

The Brick Bronze team fixed it in their game – ROBLOX didn’t fix whatever was causing the issue.

cc @spotco

Odd, this is a localscript timeposition not working? Will take a look.

BrickBronze workaround- set TimePosition after you :Play() the sound

It seems when you play the sound, it resets TimePosition to 0.0

TimePosition is not working as expected on the client. Something unexpected must have broken. There is also a potential issue with sound distance.

The changes mentioned here: Audio networking, API consistency and 3d sound improvements are not yet active. If they can be enabled thursday, all these issues should be resolved.

The specific issue right now is with TimePosition of sounds in the workspace. This can be resolved by moving your sounds out of the workspace.

However, this issue should be resolved by the end of this week.

So just did some investigation, and you have never been able to set the TimePosition of a Sound in the workspace from a localscript. Doing so would have given the lua exception:

This lua exception has been removed (and once my updates are live everything should be working as expected).

Sounds in PlayerGUI (or other non-workspace non-soundscape places) currently work as expected, and no changes for TimePosition ordering are necessary.

If you’re still having problems, can you please give more details on what you find broken?