Sounds created by client stutter and pop when looping

Due to some recent update to the way sound replicates, the tire-on-road sounds started glitching out in my games. I guessed it had to do with sound changes replicating in a way I wasn’t expecting, so I just shifted the offending sounds over to the client completely; instead of being created on the server and manipulated by the client, I altered it so that the sounds are created and manipulated on the client. Problem averted, right? Wrong.
Unfortunately, this uncovered a new sound problem as demonstrated in the video below. Whenever the sound loops, it stutters and pops a bit instead of seamlessly starting over like it would when the sound object was created on the server.

I can’t seem to repro it with a baseplate for some reason, but the only manipulation the client is doing to the sound is altering the pitch and volume. It’s occurring with all the sounds I use for the game, here’s one of them.

Here’s a video demonstrating the issue, stutters can be noticed at 0:03, 0:41, 0:52, and 1:03.

Tagging @spotco since you’ve been working on a lot of these neat new audio updates, this might be of interest to you.

Do you know what causes the pops? Can you make it happen in one script?

SoundGlitch.rbxm (846 Bytes)

Drop this into StarterCharacterScripts then publish it to an online place. It’s significantly less pronounced in this environment, but you can still hear a slight crackle when it loops that wasn’t there when I was creating the sound on the server.

I ended up fixing it myself by having the script copy the sounds and set their ID and parent instead of creating them from scratch.

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.