Sounds keep cutting in/out, and not playing at all?

Up until the latest ROBLOX client update, all the sounds played in my game as usual, without problems.

After the ROBLOX client updated, most of the sounds played from parts in Workspace are no longer heard, and some even cut in/cut out half-way through playing. I’ve verified through script that sound.Playing is definitely true when playing, so the sounds are actually playing (just not heard) and I did not change anything to do with the sounds for a long time, and it was working perfectly before, it’s just today that this problem has started appearing. RollOffMaxDistance is not a problem as this is a very large value, and I can’t even heard sounds that are right next to the character. It is as if there is a new limit on the number of sounds be heard by the player at any one time, but there’s no news about such a thing.

From my end, it seems like a bug report with the engine, however I looked for bug reports on this - there are none, I can’t post a bug report since I am still quite new here, hence this thread in scripting support. And also, some other games don’t seem to have this problem, but they could not be as sound-heavy as my game (my game has lots of sounds played from different parts in the Workspace), so I’m not sure if it is just my game or do other games have this same issue.

See above. I expect there to be door opening sounds, music playing whilst the doors are opening, and door closing sounds. I also expected some more motor sounds when the train is arriving/pulling away from the station, but as you can see in the clip none of those are heard, only 1 motor sound is heard out of 3 on the train. I can’t even hear myself jump (I can hear it though at the start of the game, before the trains are spawned).

Here’s the game incase anyone wants to try it yourself, although I suspect that this problem should also appear in more sound heavy games:
https://www.roblox.com/games/36308138/TRR-Roblox-Star-Line#!/game-instances

Does anyone have the same problem? Should this actually a bug report, or is this a scripting oversight on my part that caused the game to fail after a new roblox client update?

5 Likes

Here’s how it should sound. You can hear doors opening and closing, and music playing in between, as well as all the motor sounds on the train. I recorded this on a more remote location on the map where there are fewer trains, and fewer sounds playing within the RollOffMaxDistance range.

I can even hear myself walk and jump, whereas the walk and jump sounds aren’t heard in the clip in the original post, where there should be more sounds playing at the same time.

Is there really a hard limit on the number of sounds playing within the vicinity of a player?

2 Likes

I’m experiencing this issue too, all sounds effects in the workspace (except a select few) are not playing. This is occurring in all of my games as well, regardless of how old they are. I’ve checked my scripts and the output and no errors are being displayed, and it obviously isn’t a problem with the sounds themselves, as they play on the website and by previewing them in studio.

2 Likes

Ah, did the problem start appearing from sometime yesterday right? The problems started appearing like that on my game yesterday after I noticed my Roblox client program had updates before starting.

Yes, I’ve also found that it only occurs in certain games. I joined several different ones last night and the issue was not present, but is in mine.

1 Like

Been having this same issue in my experience and can’t find a cause but it also seems like a new issue. I thought it might be the way I’m handling sounds (all sound data is in ModuleScripts and deserialised only when it needs to be used) but glad to know I’m not alone here.

Would be willing to file a bug report but I can’t even begin to get a consistent repro of this issue. If you’re able to, could you try reproducing this issue in your own experience and check the PlaybackLoudness of the sounds? At some point all my sounds apparently have it set to 0 and that state remains for a while until a new sound is loaded in.

3 Likes

Ah, someone has just filed a bug report over here.

It seems to be the problem we have been experiencing.

1 Like