Sparkles are outdated

The texture is pretty old.
If you looked at fire and smoke, they changed ~2014. The sparkle texture dates back to 2010.

With the wider use of ParticleEmitters, Sparkles either has to go deprecated or be revamped. Though I still use it sometimes.

35 Likes

yeah I think that’d be the right thing to do

6 Likes

You can use ParticleEmitters to make nicer looking Fire and Smoke objects too, but some developers still choose to use them because they are faster and easier to set up. I don’t see much of a point in deprecating or revamping the Sparkles object.

6 Likes

I mean, I feel like it really needs updating, because particles have much less lag. I feel like if most developers are using particles over fire, smoke and sparkles, then it’s kind of strange to just have these random unupdated assets lying around.

I feel like it would make much more sense to at least improve the quality, or make something about them that make them stand out from just ordinary particles.

The Sparkles object is laggy? I wasn’t aware of that… If it is, then I would be in favor of revamping it.

no we like them for the nostalgia

2 Likes

You could just recreate them with particles ¯_(ツ)_/¯

The sparkles texture actually has a problem with it - it gets darker further out.
Here is a white sparkle infront of a green background.

If the sparkle texture was completely white, they would look much better.

6 Likes

Bumping; I love the classic feel of the sparkle emitter but all these default emitters are a bit useless now that we have particles. (Plus lag, yuck)

6 Likes

I know, sparkles are obsolete because we have particles.

1 Like

Yes, that.

13 Likes

Ahem, what?

Now for a completely serious reply to this topic.

We should fully deprecate Fire, Smoke and Sparkles. However, I maintain we should make it so when a user attempts to insert these particles in Studio, a ParticleEmitter with the same texture and base settings should be inserted instead. The existence of these “templates” can be very important for new developers who may be overwhelmed with the extensive options of the ParticleEmitter class.

6 Likes

Wouldn’t it be possible to automatically convert sparkles, fire, and smoke into the new ParticleEmitters? Then Roblox could completely remove them with less difficulty. The only problem I can think of is the ClassName of those effects.

There used to be a JSON file for the legacy particle factories where it would describe properties to be used in their internal particle engine. Most of the settings there are available to edit nowadays in ParticleEmitters, meaning that templates are a possibility. The only asterisk I see would be fire, as it emits two or three different particle types.

I’ll see if I can find that file and remake the original particles.

4 Likes