Spawn NPC Humanoid Event: Play Solo vs. Run cause Humanoid to spawn at two different locations

I have a script in ServerScriptService which spawns an NPC at a pre-designated location. That NPC then walks towards the podium to deliver a speech.

When I “Run” the game the NPC spawns at the appropriate location. However, when I select “Play Here”, the NPC spawns a few studs away from his intended location on the Z axis (which could also be X since you have no reference, but the key is it isn’t the Y axis).

Just to be clear I am selecting “Play Here” but I am not spawning near the NPC so it is not an issue with my character being too close.

Does anybody have an idea of why this might happen?

Here is how I am spawning the NPC:

local JFKspaWn = game.ReplicatedStorage.Cloneables.JFK.HumanoidRootPart

local JFK = game.ReplicatedStorage.Cloneables.JFK

local SSAgentspaWn = game.ReplicatedStorage.Cloneables.SSAgent.HumanoidRootPart

local SSAgent = game.ReplicatedStorage.Cloneables.SSAgent

function SpawnNPCs()

local newJFK = JFK:Clone()

newJFK.Parent = workspace

newJFK:MoveTo(Vector3.new(-172.606, 0.673, 6.5))

local newSSAgent = SSAgent:Clone()

newSSAgent.Parent = workspace.WalkingSSAgentsSpawnable

newSSAgent:MoveTo(Vector3.new(-174.52, 2.433, 14.632))

end

function beginNPCs()

SpawnNPCs()

game.Workspace.BindableEvents.SSAgentWalkToward:Fire()

end

beginNPCs()

game.Workspace:WaitForChild("SpawnJFK").Event:Connect(function()

beginNPCs()

end)
2 Likes

Your code is currently too hard to follow. You can adjust this by adding a code block to your code and adding in indents. You can add in a Lua code block by doing this:

Furthermore, you can indent your code by simply hitting the tab key. Indentation helps makes your code more readable, which is useful for when you are looking for support.

3 Likes

Thank you!

print("test")

Awesome!

It might be helpful to go back and edit your post.

2 Likes

Oh ok will do!

1 Like

Assuming that newSSAgent is a model, MoveTo() will check for collision, so if there’s something in the way of moving it there, it’ll usually move on top, since you said that it doesn’t move on Y-axis this probably isn’t your issue but I’d suggest trying out SetPrimaryPartCFrame anyways https://www.robloxdev.com/api-reference/function/Model/SetPrimaryPartCFrame

1 Like

So I started writing this post the other day at a coffee shop and my order came up and I forgot to finish and send it. My apologies. Anyway that is great advice thank you so much! A follow up question if I may, if a humanoid Spawns ON a part (not below or to the side but on top of) with CanCollide = true (and that part is a part and not terrain) is it possible for that humanoid (assuming it is being told to navigate with MoveTo which checks for collisions as you mentioned) to initiate a change of course because it is making contact with the artificial ground (i.e. carpet etc) even though it does not pose a threat to the humanoid’s trajectory?

If you are using MoveTo and the NPC is told to move onto another ground (i.e. NPC is moving in a straight line on concrete and then the carpet is halfway on that concrete), the NPC will continue moving in that direction.

Not sure if this answers your question though.

1 Like