Specific ROBLOX game is trying to eat all of my RAM

I am experiencing a RAM issue on a specific ROBLOX place.

By default, all other programs accounted for, my computer typically runs with 3gb of RAM being used. When I open the game in ROBLOX the ram will go up to about 4 gb. The full game loads incredibly quick and remains between the 4-5gb area, but over the course of 10 minutes it slowly climbs up to 9 gigs of ram, which is all of my RAM. The game then starts to lag insanely clientside.

I don’t know how to fix it, I do not experience this on any other games, and everyone who I’ve had play the game (over 50 people) does not experience the issue. Some people are experiencing server lag but, that’s not the problem I’m having.

Obviously a good fix is to buy more RAM, which I plan to do later this month. However, I never experienced this issue before on the same place before an update; it sounds like something they did may have caused it; but they’ve told me there have been very little changes aside from brick count. I feel like this is a client issue because I’ve never really experienced ROBLOX trying to eat all of my RAM.

Game link.

3 Likes

I stayed in the game for about 10 minutes and my RAM usage never went above 500 MB.

1 Like

I played the game for about 10 minutes and didn’t notice any RAM issues. The place used about 500 MB of RAM consistently. It would be hard for you to debug the issue without a copy of the game, as you would need to have a small reproduction case. Also this may not be a client bug, but something the game does specifically, like creating a lot of instances in certain circumstances.

What would be a good instance of this?

From what I’ve been told they’ve just added new structures which, from where I normally am should be outside of the rendering area. They did minor gui changes as well.

As narrow as possible a reproduction would be best. For example if the issue happened to you on an empty base-plate with just one of the tools from the game. Or if it happened with just the map, with all the scripts removed.

Games like http://devforum.roblox.com/t/i-guess-this-is-a-feedback-thread-now-for-my-and-defaultios-new-game/33466/43

Is eating ram and other resoruces, when it’s running, but as @TheGamer101 says, is that some games has problems, not on the client side, but serverside (loading, rendering etc.)

What I don’t understand is why this is only being specific to myself, if it’s not client side.

I have worked closely with a lot of people in that game, and while some of them report general lag spikes here and there (the servers are generally filled with 45 people), I am experiencing this issue 100% of the time the the exact same case; it doesn’t start affecting me until 10 minutes in.

I assume if I install more RAM it will just keep trying to eat that too; I’m considering trying to limit ROBLOX’s access to the RAM’s working set maximum, but I haven’t figured out how to do that because microsoft.

It’s because that game has like 500,000 parts and 170,000 joints, or something ridiculous. It’s actually using 1.2 GB of RAM on my computer (in comparison WFYB runs around 400 to 500 MB of RAM).

1 Like

So more information.

I ran the two side by side and ROBLOX says it’s only using 500mb of memory, which is completely wrong compared to what Task Manager says. I feel this may not be an issue with the specific place entirely (even though I only experience it there).

If ROBLOX is throwing false values I feel this may be specific to the client. I’d like some input from an engineer or whoever.