Speed Staff Help

Hello all,

I’ve created a staff for my game that grants you speed when you hold it, and takes away speed when you unequip it.

Here is the script:

local tool = script.Parent
function onEquip()

tool.Parent.Humanoid.WalkSpeed = 50

end

tool.Equipped:Connect(onEquip)

function onUnEquip()

print("aaa")
tool.Parent.Humanoid.WalkSpeed = 16

end

tool.Unequipped:Connect(onUnEquip)

The staff changes the players walkspeed, but when I unequip it, this error pops up (and my speed stays the same):
SSERror

The print lines runs, so it isn’t a problem with the unequip function. If you need more details, don’t hesitate to ask.

Hope you all are enjoying your day,
@Mithrandir6440

This is because the .Equipped event runs before the tool goes under the player’s character. You should use game.Players.LocalPlayer.Character instead of tool.Parent, and it is fine to put this in a local script.

1 Like

I think it’s because you are referring to the player and not the character which are both separate
Never mind just realised it now but try this

local player = game.Players.LocalPlayer
local tool = script.Parent
tool.Equipped:Connect(function()
player.Character.Humanoid.WalkSpeed = 50
tool.Unequippped:Connect(function()
player.Character.Humanoid.WalkSpeed = 16
end)
end)

You are asking for the Humanoid as a child of BackPack. You need another .Parent in the code.

tool.Parent.Parent.Character.Humanoid.WalkSpeed = #

or the code that NotoriousNoah10 wrote. That should work too.

1 Like

You could simply do,

tool.Parent.Parent.Character.Humanoid.WalkSpeed = 16

This works because when a tool is unequipped, it gets parented to the player’s backpack and when it is equipped, it gets parented to the player’s Character, and Humanoid is a child of Character

1 Like

It worked! Thank you for solving this problem, and also thank to you @AAD232007 for clarifying on why this is