Speedrun World: Alpha Release

Good morning! Or whatever time of the day it is…

I’ve been working on and off for the past 3-4 weeks to get out an alpha version of my new game, Speedrun World. This is the first original game that I’ve made SINCE 2018! Please note that the game is in alpha, so there is only one world and probably quite a few bugs.

The premise of the game is the there are different worlds, each with their own theme. Inside of those worlds there are different levels, 4-5 per world. You have to make your way through the different worlds while collecting coins, which you can use to unlock new worlds. (Gems are another planned system coming soon.) I’m currently working on 2 other worlds, so stay tuned for that!

The first and only world, “Grassy Plains:”

Link to the game:

I know that the game is really bare bones right now, it’s only in alpha, but how is it so far?

• Are there any major bugs?
  • How is the map and UI design? I have no previous experience in building or UI, and I have no builder or UI designer.)
  • What would you suggest to improve the game in the future?
  • What worlds would you like to see?

If you like the game and want to see where it goes, join my group!

5 Likes

Hello!

Your speedrun game is very good as a start-off. It does have a nice detail in terms of landscaping, and I really like that, makes the game stand out.

Suggestions & Bugs

One bug I did notice was that in some cases when I respawned or touched the starting point at the start of the run, it would not modify my walkspeed. I had to reset once and it would work again. I would say this is a slightly major bug, and does get annoying after a while.

Also, there is a random dummy floating at Level 2/4.

One suggestion I do like to make is to make an overview at the end when a player finishes. Maybe where the player can see the time, and the amount of coins they got? I think a teleport notice would be nice too.

Also, I find that some parts of Grassy Plains didn’t fit the actual walkspeed of the player. For example, I died a few times at Level 3/4, because some of the obstacles are too squished together.

I’d love to see a castle map, or a space map… that’d be cool…

The Verdict

I do understand that this game only has 1 world, and a lack of content, and that’s totally understandable. Elsewise, this game is great! It will definitely consume your time since there are other players trying to beat it too. The detail is pretty neat, and I appreciate that too, especially the decor.

Good job, and best of luck on the development! :smiley:

2 Likes

I’m looking into a fix for that now, .Touched is unreliable sometimes.

Whoops! I used that to judge the size of the coins, I must’ve forgotten to delete it. Thanks!

Ah. I changed the WalkSpeed and JumpPower at some point halfway through the map and must’ve forgotten to adjust the level. Thanks!

I can make that happen :wink:

Thanks for the encouragement! I was really worried that it would be poorly received due to this being my first game since 2018.

1 Like

Hey!

I just played again, and it seems that the game is nonfunctional. The .Touched event completely broke, and after resetting a few times and leaving, the starting point doesn’t work, nor speed me up. Just wanted to update!

I’ll look into it and try to fix that.

Edit: I have an event to attend, so I’lll need to fix it when I get back. The game will be private until I can get to it. Sorry!

1 Like

Game looks good I can’t play it rn as its private but the map looks very empty and did you make the tree models your self? if u need help im also a builder.

1 Like

cc @jaxson_sniper58 @FrozenInferno_Dev

The game has been made public again! Let me know if there are any more bugs.

It’s supposed to, as it’s a speedrun game. You can only run on the raised platforms.

No, I used a free asset pack made by Roblox.

Nah, It’s good.

for some reason if i fail the timer keeps going.

and it dosen’t give me speed alot of the time.

That’s fully intentional. It times how fast you complete the world, all factors considered. Slightly unconventional method, but I feel like it adds a sense of urgency and carefulness.

I’m still trying to figure out why .Touched doesn’t want to fire.

Great! The game runs fine now! :happy4:

I had similar issues as other players, such as:

-My avatar sometimes not going fast when I go through the gate

-Obstacles feeling too squished together

Some other issues is my avatar when I spawn in, their limbs and arms dont move untill I get the speed.

(Other than that, it has alot of potentials, personally I am a huge fan of speed run games so this project is cool!)

(P.S. so upbeat music would be nice, as although the music in the grassy area is relaxing, I feel it needs to be more up beat for a speedrun game).

Currently working on polishing up the code. I really just wanted to get a game out in around a month, so some of the code is sloppy. The good news is, along with this I’ll be adding more functionality for UI and music;

After this, I will work on updating the map and making it more uniform;

Overall though, I am very pleased with how this game has been received!

1 Like

Seems great so far!

I have two suggestions for the Touched problem. Firstly, I suggest giving the player character TouchInterest in every part. This can be done by hooking them all up to an empty Touched function. This may help them respond to Touched events for other parts. I can’t say that for certain, but a boss I made a couple months ago was not responding to the players’ weapon until I gave his body TouchInterest even though the player’s sword was the one with the Touched script, so perhaps giving both ends TouchInterest can somehow help here. It’s worth a try.

Secondly, I suggest sound effects for the start and ending parts. That way, if collisions remain an issue, the player can at least tell that they are good to go as soon as they hear a sound effect.

As for level ideas, I like how you made a couple parts of the first world non-linear. I’d like to see more of this. Imagine a world where the path splits into three, but you have to get to the end of two of the paths to press buttons that open the way to the third. Given this game is meant to be a spin on the Speedrun game, stuff like this would be a great way to expand upon the core gameplay. Just an idea though.

I wish you the best, and look forward to seeing how this game grows!

1 Like

I will be making another map soon.

Would anyone be interested in seeing the process that I go through to build it?
  • Yes
  • No

0 voters

Edit: Whoops, didn’t mean to reply to you!

I’ve decided to redesign the first map according to @FrozenInferno_Dev and @TehPineapplePanda’s advice. You can check my post on that here:

1 Like