Spotlights and surface lights not working when using terrain

I’m working on a level with a large square part as the main floor. I have a character that gets a spotlight added to his weapon when aiming and shoots a ball with a surface light. The moment I turn the floor into part of the terrain with the Part to terrain plugin the lights all stop working. There are no errors, the shooting still happens but no lights. If I undo converting the floor part it works fine again. I’ve tried reinstalling Roblox but got the same errors.

Any input about what causes this and how to fix it is most welcome.

Yes the moment you turn the part into terrain it is no longer a part that you can insert lights into as its now roblox terrain… you will need to then add a new part into the terrain to attach the light to.

If you want it inside the terrain then turn cancollide on the new part to false also.

Hi, I should explain better because that’s not what I meant. The player character has the spotlights but those aren’t shown any more as soon as I turn the floor into terrain.

1 Like

Which lighting technology are you using?

Edit: no you explained clearly i didnt read it properly.

Also are you using the well-known part to terrain plugin?

I’m using ShadowMap (the default I believe?)

I am indeed using that plugin.

1 Like

Once the lighting disappears have you tried to create a new light source not in your character that points to the terrain and see if that works? That way you can atleast narrow it down to your character.

Edit: and if it does work and its your character, have you tried to convert the part to terrain while your character is standing on it or is this something done in studio when character hasnt loaded in yet?

2 Likes

The character also shoots an orb with a surface light, before making the floor a terrain it emits lights onto the floor, clearly visible. After making it a terrain that light is also gone.

I think something is ‘just’ messed because now when I turn a block that’s being used as a wall into terrain and start playing it is not upright anymore. I’ll just restart making my game and see if it persists.

2 Likes

For anyone who might encounter a similar issue, I remade my level and everything works as it’s supposed to. The only thing I can think of that may have caused this error is using the flatten tool on the terrain, after that the problems started but can’t say for sure.

1 Like