Spread particles *within* surface? [Please Help]

I’m making snow with a particle emitter, but the effect was ruined by the fact that the snow wasn’t appearing all over the surface of the part and instead some particles were behind each other. After researching I found one way to do this, but it would be absolutely difficult for me. Here are my 2 questions:

1. Is it possible to spread particles without going out the boundaries without splitting the part? (I tried spread angle, didn’t do a thing) If this is not possible then
  2. How do I split the part and particle emitters efficiently? (Not asking for script, just asking for how-to)
    PS: I’m using EmissionDirection Bottom, but the particles still move up so I rotated the part to (0, 0, -180)
    Boundaries:
    Screen Shot 2021-10-11 at 11.36.48 AM
    Note: Boundaries are semi-transparent for testing purposes
1 Like

https://developer.roblox.com/en-us/api-reference/class/ParticleEmitter

Do you mean how do you have a space between the particles and the emitter?
You go to the Transparency window and click the … at the right end of the scale bar. A graph of time versus Transparency will show up. Click the left side of the line on the graph and drag it all the way up. If you click on the diagonal line again another point will show up, so click on the new point and drag it up. Click another point on the angled line a small space to the right of the last top point and drag the new point to the bottom of the graph so your graph line will look like this

2 Likes

No, sorry for not explaining it clearly. The particles moves on lanes, while I want them to stay mostly away from each other

1 Like

A ParticleEmitter only does a random spacing of Particles, so you can’t keep them separate.
I would think that always keeping them separate would make snow look unrealistic. In the real world all snowflakes fall randomly, not in ‘lanes’.
If you want a flat image you could try looking into using a Beam | Roblox Creator Documentation with the FaceCamera property set to true.
There’s a tutorial here: Beams | Roblox Creator Documentation

1 Like

Exactly what I wanted. :confused: Don’t beams move like lanes anyways?

1 Like

If you look at the picture I sent, the Particles are all randomly spaced over the 42x42 stud emitter Part, some further back, some in front, some left, some right.
In my Emitter Shape I’ve got it set to Box, do you have yours set to Disc?
Can you post a screenshot of all your ParticleEmitter Properties?

edit. And beams do travel like a flat decal, but you can make them face the Player’s Camera so the look like they are always a certain number of studs wide.

1 Like

I have it set to Disc, what is the difference? (I don’t understand it much)

1 Like

If you have a square or rectangle Part the ParticleEmitter will work from the entire surface of the Part. If you set it to Disc it only works in the smallest round size of the Part, so the corners won’t have any particles.
Set it to Box. That should fix it.

2 Likes

Set it to box, didn’t work. Should any more properties be changed?

1 Like

Did you look at the properties in the image I posted? That’s what I used to get the particles in the image.

1 Like

Setting the lifetime to a number instead of a number range and set the rate to a lower number fixed it. Thanks!

1 Like