Spring constraint not working?

Following the Roblox YouTube tutorial on Springs, did exactly what they did, constraint put in the same spots, however, when I push the door to its limits, it wont move back? So the second image shows the door just staying in place, not moving back. If I move it a little it moves back (but it’s random, so the door might stop a few pixels short of it’s original position)

All your attachments are parented to (what I presume) either the door or the door frame part.

One attachment needs to be parented to the door, and the other the frame of the door.

Also you shouldn’t need two springs for this - simplify things by removing one sorting and the redundant attachment.

Hmm ok

Managed to fix it. Small detail though, they don’t return to their exact position. I set the Damping to 1000 and Stiffness to 10000. Is there anyway to make them return to the exact position? Obviously ain’t game breaking, or a massive problem, just curious if it’s possible

How far out is the length from its original length? I assume you’ve set FreeLength to the original length.

Don’t put springs on the same axis as the HingeConstraint is.
SpringConstraints work by comparing the initial state they were at when the game started running.
Right now, the SpringConstraint is acting as a radius of a circle. Radius doesn’t change, and so, the SpringConstraint doesn’t detect much (if any) changes to it’s length. You must move it out of the that circle’s middle, i.e. move it away from the HingeConstraint. One example of placing it: chrome

I found that spring does not work if it connects a union to a union. if it connects just a part to a part or a part to a union, then it works.

1 Like