SpringConstraint flips character

I am creating a taser that shoots prongs out, which stick into a player. With that said, I wanted to try to use SpringConstraints to achieve the effect of the wires that comes out of the end of the taser, because of their inherent appearance.

As you can see in this gif, the prongs shoot into the test dummy, but when they are welded upon impact, my character flips upside down and my right arm goes backwards. This does not happen with the spring property Enabled is set to false, however, the spring isn't visible any longer when this property is false, despite visible being true.

I am unsure if this is the intended behavior for SpringConstraints, or if it is as a result of my unusual use case. If I cannot use them, my next option to achieve this effect would most likely be Trails.

2 Likes

I remember this happening a long time ago with rope constraints when they were still on gametest. I never found out why…

Is the dummy anchored?

1 Like

No, and the behavior also happens when shot at a real player’s character.

Might be worth knowing how you weld it. Maybe the weld or the attachment is upside-down?

Just to add more to this, this occurs when using other constraints such as RodConstraint and RopeConstraint. (Haven’t checked others)
The weld is only flipped when you use the default grip weld from Roblox tools, so as a workaround you can manually set some welds in the tool and it won’t get messed up.

Sorry for the late follow up, I haven’t worked on this project since April.

I am not using the default grip weld, I’m using a Motor6D so that I can integrate animations with the tool itself, and the behavior still persists. When I create the Motor6D, Roblox must automatically destroy the grip weld, because it goes away when the Motor6D is instanced and the Part0 is set to the Right Arm.

In addition, if I weren’t to use a Motor6D, and I were to use the default RightGrip weld, my character still flips upside down.

Was this issue ever resolved?
Been attempting something similar and having the same issues.

Hey @TheFurryFish! I apologise for the extremely delayed response on this topic (around two years delay lol), I hope I can still be of assistance. I had a similar issue with this in the past, I figured out some time ago how to fix it. My issue was related with RopeConstraints, they may not be the same, however, they are both are very similar. I found that I was not going to get my issue to work on it’s own, so, of course, I found a way around it! Here is how I did it:

Once the Hit event was fired to the Server, I created a new Part, I set it to Part.Anchored = true and Part.CanCollide = false, following that I positioned the Part to the Hit Players Character torso, and I created the desired prong parts (e.g. RopeConstraint or SpringConstraint ), created an Attachment in the Tools main Part (e.g. a Part called “Main” that contains things such as the muzzle flash) and then Attached the prongs to the Attachments.

Although this will NOT be attached to the Players Torso, it will be attached to the Officers taser (assuming it is a Law Enforcement Officer). I know that this is not the most effective alternative way to do it, but it was the only way I could think of, and this was the only way that would allow me to integrate animations alongside taser prongs that I knew of.

Again, I apologise for the late response, if this response is too complicated just feel free to tag me with the part you got stuck on and I will happily reply and try do de-complicate it for you, also if you need an example of the code that would start you off, let me know and I will attach a bit of code to help you (this is also my first DevForum post!).

I hope I helped, let me know if it did! Below is an attached GIF of what the prongs would look like at the end. :smile:

Cheers and take care,
Bruce
https://gyazo.com/efdeb2ca7f56335ff3d10f26e3061d81

3 Likes