Stabilizing Hover

For whatever reason I cannot figure out how to keep this thing at a constant hover rather than this crazy bounce. Anyone handy with physics?

local Force = script.Parent.Part:GetMass() * game.Workspace.Gravity * 1.5

local SuspensionHeight = 5;

local function Lerp(a, b, t)
    return a * (1-t) + (b*t)
end

local function RayDown(Part)
	local Cast = Ray.new(Part.CFrame.p,Vector3.new(0,-1,0).unit * SuspensionHeight);
	return game.Workspace:FindPartOnRay(Cast,script.Parent)
end

while true do
	local dt = wait()
	for _,v in ipairs(script.Parent:GetChildren()) do
		if v:FindFirstChild("Humanoid") then
			local Part,Pos = RayDown(v.Head);
			local CompressionRatio;
			if Part and Pos then
				CompressionRatio = (SuspensionHeight - (Pos - v.Head.Position).Magnitude)/SuspensionHeight
			else
				CompressionRatio = 0;
			end
			v.Name = string.format("%.2f",tostring(CompressionRatio));
			v.Head.VectorForce.Force = Vector3.new(0,Lerp(v.Head.VectorForce.Force.Y, CompressionRatio * (Force/4),.8),0)
		end
	end
end

Stabilize.rbxl (18.0 KB)

4 Likes

Have you tried adding a bodyforce that pushes upwards with the force of the equivalent of gravity * the part’s mass?

1 Like

That would just results an object that hover perfectly still till another force acts upon it.

Edit: would also fly infinitely upward as soon as one of the “Thrusters” got close to the ground.

1 Like

I’m confused. Isn’t that what you want? You stated a “constant hover”. Do you want a light bounce-like feature that looks like the car is moving slowly up and down?

1 Like

The goal is to simulate suspension by applying an upward velocity on 4 different corners of the object based on how high above the ground each corner is. My problem is that I cannot figure out how to stabilize and keep it from bouncing all over the place

1 Like

Appreciate the suggestion but there is a reason I am going for the “more complicated system”.

3 Likes

Well pretty much every high quality vehicle system from GTA to Jailbreak that is not over the top focused on physics calculations uses this method. It relies entirely on the physics engine and thus reacts to both expected and unexpected situations in a realistic manner.

Here’s a cool overview of the idea.

3 Likes

So then my system would be unrealistic?

2 Likes

I watched that video before and tried to apply it to Roblox and ended up having the same issues you have now. Hoping someone can aid you so they indirectly help me.

2 Likes

I used the following:
Force=-(CurrentDist-MaxSpringLen)*Stiffness-Damping*(CurrentDist-LastDist)/delta
With:
Damping = 2*math.sqrt(Stiffness)
to make it critically damped. We assume that mass of wheels is equal to 1 for simplicity.
It gave a perfect result.

6 Likes

What is CurrentDist, and LastDist, lastly what is delta?

1 Like

Having some difficulties implementing this using what you have given. Did you implement this with the given studio file or your own?

2 Likes

CurrentDist = The distance between the “Thruster” and the ground
LastDist = The distance between the “Thruster” and the ground the last time it was calculated
Delta = Time in-between those two calculations.

2 Likes

So that means the time between the last calculation and the current calculation?

1 Like

Yes, in my code you see I signify Delta as local dt = wait()

2 Likes

Also having difficulty implementing

2 Likes

dt is argument to the function in Runservice

2 Likes

@DragRacer31
CurrentDist is the current frame’s distance between the spring’s origin and the part below it.
LastDist is the CurrentDist of the last frame.
Using this avoids having to calculate the velocity using angular velocities off both the car’s axle and the hit part.
Delta is just the time difference between 2 frames.

@Spooks_HD @VineyardVine
I used a custom implementation. Just made a platform with a Root part in the center, welded 4 axles to it and binded the formula to Heartbeat for each axle.

Also, set the force to (0,0,0) when no surface is detected.

2 Likes

I remade the thing. You might need to make a lot of changes to the hit detection, make the wheels rotate and maybe rewrite the entire script to make it work like a real car, but the base is here.

Completely forgot to mention. You might want to lift the axles a few studs since they bounce into oblivion if they get too close to the ground. The model acts like a limiter in those cases.

3 Likes

So it is your car that you mentioned here?:

1 Like